Saturday Serenity: Lake Michigan’s Cold Weather Wonder

Despite the fact I have promised never to complain if the temperatures dip below freezing here in Chicago, I do want to show you an interesting cold weather phenomenon.

Lovely Lake Michigan provided the fascinating foreground for the sunrise a few days ago. Can you see what appears to be clouds on the lake’s surface? This happens so rarely, but it’s ‘quite cold’ here and ice formed on the surface.  These ‘clouds’ looked like steam rising.  Quite the illusion and I’m happy I was able to snap a photo of it to show you!

I hope you are having a day filled with sunny skies and cooperative temperatures!

13 comments for “Saturday Serenity: Lake Michigan’s Cold Weather Wonder

1. January 26, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Another beautiful photo, Cher! I saw the steam rising right away. We’ve got sunshine, a light breeze and 65 just now at my house – love!! 🌵🌴

• January 26, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Thank you, John! Oh did you? Ah, I am JEALOUS! LOL Cher xo

2. January 26, 2019 at 10:28 pm

I’ll complain for you. BLAH ON OUR WEATHER Nice shot.

• January 26, 2019 at 5:16 pm

LOL That’s quite alright, my dear fellow Chicagoan! Cher xo

3. Annie van Es
    January 28, 2019 at 1:41 am

Cher, this is a beautiful view of the sunrise over the lake. I wish you a nice day.

• January 28, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Ah, thank you so much, Annie! To you as well! Cher xo

4. January 28, 2019 at 9:06 am

So beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I see the steam rising too! The Telly weather report yesterday showed a Steam spout swirling like a Tornado above the water. It was on Lake Michigan. The weather is bitterly COLD again. -18 Celsius. I haven’t see Birds today or yesterday because of the cold, not even at the Bird Feeder! I feel sorry for People living on the streets. It’s ludicrous! Stay warm the snow is on the way!!
    Cheers!

• January 28, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Thank you, dearie! Really? I didn’t hear about that steam spout! I’ll have to look that up! We have some “Canadian weather” headed to Chicago in a couple of days! Yes, you too my dear!! Thank you! Cher xo

5. January 30, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Beautiful! Stay safe and warm!

6. February 1, 2019 at 6:41 am

Thank you for sharing, Its been televised on BBC in the UK how the lake is frozen and how low the temps are.. Keep safe Cher.. Much love

• February 1, 2019 at 10:45 am

Oh has it, Sue? It’s very unusual weather for this area. Having spent a long time in Western Canada, this type of weather (sad as it is) would be considered, ‘typical’ for January and February. I can’t say that I miss this type of weather, though! LOL Ah, thank you so much, dear Sue! Much love returned to you! Cher xo

• February 1, 2019 at 11:03 am

The media here are showing your icy conditions.. take care Cher..

Boomer Eco Crusader

Saving the environment one small change at a time

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.

SOUTHERN WRITER

This blog is all about writing and will also feature my poetry!

Ritu Bhathal

Author, Poet, Storyteller

Take It Or Leave It

The Modern Revolution Of American Patriots.

Dreams in Young Flourish

Diamonds, diamonds and stars

Ed Mooney Photography

The official blog of Ed Mooney Photography. Dad of 3, Photographer, Martial Artist, Gym Rat & Blogger. Exploring the historical sites of Ireland.