The Friday File: Eclectic Architectural Elements

Ah, another glimpse of the downtown Chicago scene seen (*grin*) from the Chicago River! Can you see the numerous bridges that cross the river?  The one you can prominently see in this photo is the LaSalle Street Bridge.  I know I’ve said this before, but I want to say it again:  the eclectic architecture works so well, don’t you think?  To be honest, normally I’m a fan of uniformity where there is some kind of ‘tie-in’ to a cityscape.  However, downtown Chicago’s mixture of old buildings, new structures, and everything in between somehow seems to work.  The individual uniqueness of each building in and of itself doesn’t seem overshadowed by the next building, or the next, and so on.

Perhaps that’s the tie-in; each structure brings a much-needed original design to the puzzle, and that puzzle isn’t complete without the sum of all its parts.

I mean, what’s not to love about a ‘corncob’ placed near a stately structure sporting a clock with roman numerals at its peak? Not a thing wrong with that I say; not a thing!

18 comments for “The Friday File: Eclectic Architectural Elements

1. June 9, 2017 at 10:58 am

Ha that’s definitely a corncob!

• June 9, 2017 at 11:07 am

*LOL* And there’s another one beside it just like it, Hayley! 😉 Cher xo

2. June 9, 2017 at 11:30 am

Loved the newspaper building – is it the Sun? Really cool architecture x

• June 9, 2017 at 12:02 pm

It’s the Chicago Tribune Building (The Chicago Tribune Newspaper is the most widely read newspaper here)! Oh yes, I love it too! I think so as well! I think a lot of architects have come to Chicago to contribute to the amazing cityscape we have; they seem to like it here! Cher xo

3. June 9, 2017 at 12:22 pm

People still read newspapers? Actually, I came across one the other day in a Subway shoppe. The corncob building is a sharp contrast the straight lines of the newer buildings. Don’t change a thing!

• June 9, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I know, right, John? I love newspapers! Now, to be fair, the Tribune Building is not just a company for newspapers; it is a media company now as well (tv, radio, etc.). It sure is a contrast, isn’t it? I love it too! Thank you, John! Cher xo

4. June 9, 2017 at 1:36 pm

I just booked my stay in August… seeing your pictures makes me even more excited… can hardly wait!!!

5. June 9, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Chicago is and always was a great city for architecture, specifically because you do see so many different styles beside each other. I can remember when The Prudential Building was the tallest building in the city. Within ten years, it was dwarfed by The Hancock and Sears Tower. Now, it’s a veritable midget.

I always wanted to live in Marina City. Still do, although I probably won’t.

• June 9, 2017 at 3:26 pm

It sure is, John! I agree, which is why I see the eclectic nature of it so fascinating! Oh did you? Yes, those two buildings most definitely rise above all others. I actually know someone who does live there. She couldn’t see living anywhere else! Oh do you? I can’t blame you, John; it’s so incredibly unique! Cher xo

6. June 9, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Wow. Full stop. Love your work.

• June 9, 2017 at 7:48 pm

David, you have given me a compliment that I am extremely grateful to receive; thank you! Cher xo

7. June 9, 2017 at 8:59 pm

It struck me when I visited Chicago a few years ago that what tied the landscape together was its verticality. All the building are so tall and so close, that visitors have to look up. Locals, of course, do not. 🙂

• June 9, 2017 at 9:02 pm

That’s for sure! Oh yes you are right; I never look up! *LOL* Cher xo

8. June 10, 2017 at 4:52 am

Cher, one of the things I like so much about Chicago is its magnificent variety of architectural styles. That “corn cob” building is definitely a throw-back to an earlier style that has not stood the test of time well, but it adds greatly to the mix.

• June 10, 2017 at 11:21 am

Hi Brett, it is so nice to see you! Me too, Brett; I feel the same way. Yes, the “corn cob” style would most definitely not be what we would call a contemporary choice; nonetheless, it really does add well to the architectural cityscape! Thank you, Brett! Cher xo

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

SouthernBlondeChic

"Pour Your Passion To Find Joy In The Journey"

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos

Crow On The Wire

Poetry and Stories by Mark Tulin

BrewNSpew

Coffee-break Scuttlebutt

Cats in the Cradle Blog

Reviews, Giveaways, and More!