Tuesday’s Typewriter: The Chicago Model 1

Chicago Typewriter 2

– photo courtesy of pinterest.com

Reminders………………Ah yes, those little words and phrases to keep us on track, to put us back on track, and sometimes to help us realize where we came from.  Oh, and how far we’ve come!  Take a look at this little beauty.  “The Chicago Model 1” in the above photo was manufactured by the The Chicago Writing Machine Company from 1889-1917.

Chicago Writing Machine Company– photo courtesy of pinterest.com

For a whopping 35 bucks you could clickety-clack, tap, tap, tap to your heart’s content on this clever console.

So the next time your IPad, laptop, smartphone, PC, Applewatch, or any other contraption with letters and numbers gives you grief, here’s a reminder:

Typewriter Ribbon– photo courtesy of flikr.com

You never, EVER have to change the ribbon! Ta da!

24 comments for “Tuesday’s Typewriter: The Chicago Model 1

1. August 11, 2015 at 8:15 am

OMP! That is so very cool. Mom has an older typewriter that comes in it’s own little ‘box’. That’s the one that she learned to type on as a child. It also has that freaky ribbon. So cool for a flashback. XOXO – Bacon

• August 11, 2015 at 8:19 am

Isn’t it great? Oh does she? And it had its own little box! I love it! Thank you, Bacon! Cher xo

• August 11, 2015 at 9:13 am

It is old. Mom says it came over with Noah on the boat. I don’t get that but I’m thinking it’s old. She taught herself how to type on it, used it all during school and now it has a special place in our attic to keep it safe. I think personally it made her fingers stronger too – back in the day she said you had to hit the keys pretty hard to get them to move… not like my keyboard – snorts. XOXO – Bacon

• August 11, 2015 at 9:22 am

I think that is wonderful that she taught herself how to type on it, and that she still has it! Oh yes, I quite agree with you; most definitely it would make your fingers stronger, not like today’s ‘touch type’! *grin* Like you said, Bacon, “not like my keyboard”!!! Cher xo

• August 11, 2015 at 10:56 am

Snorts! Mom laughs because of learning on this old typewriter. When she finally got to high school and took typing, they had just came out with the electric ones. From all of her practicing over the years, she aced that class and held the high score all year – 95 wpm. Now you see where I get my excellence from. I’m up to around 25 hpm (hooves per minute) on my keyboard. Snorts. XOXO – Bacon

• August 11, 2015 at 11:00 am

Well cheers to both of you, Bacon! That’s a lot of words per minute and for you, hooves per minute! Brilliant work! *biggest grin* Cher xo

2. August 11, 2015 at 8:34 am

Brings back memories of typing class in high school (too long ago to say)… My first automated writing too was an electric Smith-Corona portable. It had its own case. I’d lift the cover, plug it in, roll in a sheet of paper, and power-type! It made me feel like a real journalist.

• August 11, 2015 at 8:36 am

Ah, thank you for sharing that with us, John! I love that it had its own case! Almost like the precursor to laptop cases. I’m sure it did make you feel like a real journalist! Love it! Cher xo

3. August 11, 2015 at 9:06 am

This looks amazing. I personally typewriters as decoration and ocassional use but the vintage ones are so expensive now.

Wildfire Charm

• August 11, 2015 at 9:08 am

Oh do you? I think that is a wonderful thing to do! Yes, I imagine they are very expensive. Thank you so much for your comments! Cher xo

4. August 11, 2015 at 10:07 am

The times they have changed!

5. August 11, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Until I started using a computer to do my typing, I hated typing. The erasers and the carbon paper and the Wite-Out ™ and trying to type footnotes and all that. And no, it doesn’t build character. The “k” fell off my typewriter at some point during sophomore year of high school… you’d think that, since “k” is the fifth least-frequently-used letter in English, that wouldn’t cause too much trouble, but trust me, you find out just how many words use it when you don’t have it.

• August 11, 2015 at 12:52 pm

It certainly doesn’t sound like a character-builder, John! It seems like a lot of inconvenience to write a paper. Truly that is why I wrote my post! I think we forget about the past and how much labor intensity went into preparing even one letter whilst using a typewriter. Were you able to get a replacement “k”? I am thinking not! Cher xo

• August 11, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Actually, we did. Had to go to half a dozen repair shops, finally finding one downtown, and it cost a small fortune. Of course, this was many years after it actually turned up broken. Mom was never especially good at following up on minor details like her son’s typewriter was broken and needed repairing so he didn’t have to write all his papers by hand, and heaven forbid you keep asking her. Learned that the hard way…

• August 11, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I am surprised you ever found a key, John (even many years after the fact, as you mentioned). If you notice the typeset of my heading, “The Chicago Files”, I wanted it to look similar to a typewriter! I quite like them, albeit with what you described having a key broken, the novelty would soon wear off, as it were *grin* Cher xo

6. August 12, 2015 at 11:05 am

When I was a kid I used to holiday with my maternal grandparents. My grandfather was caretaker of a site for building materials and he’d take me down to the office where I would sit, feeling very important, and bash away on one of the upright typewriters. Your photo certainly brought back some very happy memories for me, Cher, thank you!

• August 13, 2015 at 7:09 am

Ah, bless! That is such a lovely memory, Mo! How wonderful! I can hear the clang, clang of the keys!!! Cher xo

7. lemmerson60
    August 12, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I remember Typing class on those old clunkers! That was “back-in-the-day” of carbon paper (oh, those dreadful typo’s!!) and way before auto-correct or spell-check! Simpler times with paper! (really??) .

• August 12, 2015 at 1:59 pm

*LOL* We have to wonder, don’t we, dearie? Carbon paper! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Wite-out! Cher xo

8. August 12, 2015 at 5:13 pm

This was such a fun post, Cher. Thanks! And I love to “go back” and see how things were in the “olden times.” 🙂

• August 12, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Thank you, dear Carol! Me too!!! *LOL* Cher xo

9. August 20, 2015 at 12:50 pm

If blogs were food for the mind, mine would think I was at the bakery! This is great!

• August 20, 2015 at 3:09 pm