Chicago’s Union Station – Cavernous Beauty!

Union Station 3

A few days ago I posted a photo of a lovely turn of the century (well, turn of ‘a’ century) light that I saw on my walk through Chicago’s Union Train Station.

I snapped this photo of the grandiose waiting area.  It is magnificent!  With marble columns and a skylight to naturally illuminate its beauty, this large and regal-like room reminds me of train travel in an era I can only use my imagination to experience.

I love this huge space and the way it makes me feel special.  Just think, anyone can become part of its lure and wonder by simply taking a seat on one of its sturdy, wooden benches and take it all in!  Quite a treat, I must admit!

26 comments for “Chicago’s Union Station – Cavernous Beauty!

1. August 8, 2015 at 10:16 am

Wow, that looks beautiful. Whatever I saw by now about Chicago looks so very clean! I know this cleanness only from Boston.

• August 8, 2015 at 10:22 am

Thank you, Erika! Yes, they keep Union Station looking really great! I looked up and saw the amazing natural light coming through! You would love it! Cher xo

2. RMW
    August 8, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I love train stations of all kinds… this one looks very majestic… love those shiny mirror-like floors!

• August 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Oh I do too! They are such a part of our history, aren’t they? Now you are very observant, my dear! Those floors are mirror-like! It is an incredible structure; I just love it! Have you ever seen Union Station in Los Angeles? It’s another beauty with its art deco, and Spanish colonial influences. Cher xo

3. August 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I’ve been there, Cher! xo

4. August 8, 2015 at 1:00 pm

What a beautiful train station!

• August 8, 2015 at 2:06 pm

It really is! I will post more photos sometime so you can see other areas! Cher xo

5. August 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I also love the Union Station architecture! Unfortunately, during the usual daily rush it feels like I’m the only one that wants to slow down for a bit and look. Glad you like it, too!

• August 8, 2015 at 8:15 pm

So you know exactly what I mean! *LOL* All the rushing and always ‘on the way somewhere else’ makes it hard to notice the phenomenal surroundings. I am glad you like it as well!! 🙂 🙂 Cher xo

6. August 9, 2015 at 7:40 am

It’s almost cathedral-like. Very lovely! 🙂

• August 9, 2015 at 1:26 pm

It really is! I love that it hasn’t been ‘modernized’ yet preserved!! Cher xo

7. August 9, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I need to visit Chicago!! 🙂

• August 9, 2015 at 6:17 pm

You simply must, my dear! I know you will love it, Laura! Cher xo

8. lemmerson60
    August 9, 2015 at 10:17 pm

I so love old train stations, one that quickly comes to mind is the old train station in Brantrford, Ontario. It too has old pillars with huge marble floor tiles which echo off the walls as you walk across them. Take the 7:30 am VIA train every morning from Brantford ariving in Toronto 8:50 am. I wonder where everyone is traveling to…

• August 10, 2015 at 7:13 am

Isn’t that cool! I absolutely love those old stations as well. I’m just so glad that so many of them are still preserved! I always think that too; everyone, where are you going??? Cher xo

• lemmerson60
        August 11, 2015 at 11:56 am

Took the Midnight train going anywhere…. I’m not going anywhere…this was a few years ago on a trip from work! I love taking the train, you get to see much more of the country side!

• August 11, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Isn’t it great, dearie? I absolutely love it too! Rolling along on the rails! *LOL* Cher xo

9. August 10, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Nothing says nostalgia like an old train station!

• August 10, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I completely agree, Billy Ray! It’s so incredibly charming! Cher xo

10. August 10, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I’ve only been through Union Station once. It was grand, though, and I liked the experience, even if I didn’t quite have enough time to get to the train I needed.

• August 11, 2015 at 8:20 am