Chicago’s Union Train Station – Another Look!

Union Station 4

I thought you might enjoy looking at Chicago’s Union Train Station from yet another angle!  If you listen very closely, you might just hear the sounds of passengers from decades gone by.  With suits so smart, and dresses perfectly primped, one can almost imagine what the train takers in this room looked like decades and decades ago.

Did you hear that? It’s a train whistle!  All aboard! The train bound for Los Angeles is about to roll out!  How exciting! To start a trip from this beautiful space would be in and of itself an adventure!

23 comments for “Chicago’s Union Train Station – Another Look!

1. August 13, 2015 at 8:13 am

You know one thing you have to show–THE STEPS! How can you go to Union Station and not show the steps where the shootout for “The Untouchables” was filmed. 🙂

• August 13, 2015 at 8:15 am

*LOL* Cassidy, I promise I will do that! I know, what on earth was I thinking (or not, as it appears!) Cher xo 🙂

• August 13, 2015 at 8:28 am

When I used to show people around Chicago, I’d always show them that. 🙂

• August 13, 2015 at 10:01 am

I think I should add that to our tourist list too!! 🙂 Cher xo

• August 13, 2015 at 11:10 am

There are a lot of places you could show. Don’t forget the LaSalle Street Station, which is where “The Sting” and “North by Northwest” were filmed.

• August 13, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Those are excellent places! Ah yes, the LaSalle Street Station! Thank you for these suggestions! Cher xo

2. August 13, 2015 at 1:07 pm

A really grand and beautiful train station… the columns make the architecture interesting! Thanks for sharing, Cher. 🙂 ❤ Iris

• August 13, 2015 at 1:30 pm

They really do, don’t they, Iris? I absolutely love it there! Thank YOU! Love, Cher xo

• August 13, 2015 at 1:36 pm

You have some lovely buildings and places in Chicago, Cher! Enjoy your day. 🙂 Love, Iris

• August 13, 2015 at 1:39 pm

We are incredibly lucky here, Iris! It’s an architectural dream! And to you as well my dear; thank you! Love, Cher xo

3. August 13, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Union Station is a step back into history. I used to take the Milwaukee Road on occasion (now it’s METRA) which left from Union Station. Love that place.

Back in the early 1960’s, travel by train was still a big deal, and they would advertise the trains on the nightly newscasts. Santa Fe had its own station on South Dearborn just outside the Loop, and all their trains left from there. The big one was the Super Chief, that went from Chicago to Los Angeles and stopped in a bunch of cities along the way. The Wikipedia article goes into it in some detail.

In those days, you got dressed up to take the train (or to fly, really): suits, ties, polished shoes for the men, dresses (or suits), stockings and heels for the women, kids a junior version of the adults. The dining cars were linen tablecloths and napkins, silver flatware, china plates, and servers in uniform. Contrast that with today…

There are some great videos on YouTube of train travel (check Ella’s Archive for some of them).

• August 14, 2015 at 7:47 am

John, thank you so much for this terrific information! I am going to look up some videos on YouTube. Oh yes, it really was a different era, wasn’t it? And now, yes, completely and literally in the opposite direction. Sad, really. That’s why I view Union Station as such a grand place and yet the casualness of the passengers somehow doesn’t seem to match the surroundings if you know what I mean! Cher xo

4. August 14, 2015 at 3:33 am

Sort of looks like a Roman type of structure

5. August 15, 2015 at 8:15 pm

A very imposing edifice, Cher. Great photo!

• August 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Why thank you, dear Carol! It is a beautiful building!! Cher xo

6. August 20, 2015 at 12:46 pm

That was really nice, brought a good feeling! I love train stations…

• August 20, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Why thank you! I love them too! 🙂

• August 30, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Wow, that is amazing! Thank you so much for including this link! Absolutely incredible! Cher xo

• August 30, 2015 at 10:25 pm

You’re welcome. It was an incredible railway station.

• August 31, 2015 at 7:15 am