The Friday File…….Lucky 7 Uniquely Canadian Comfort Food Favo(U)rites

ketchup chips

– photo courtesy of http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets

It’s Friday, and it’s the 13th.  This date combination means either you are happy the weekend is here, and/or your superstitious side has appeared for the duration of the day.

That’s okay on both accounts, for I am merely taking the number of the day and repackaging it to present you with a lovely little list of, ‘lucky 7’ Canadian treats found only north of the 49th parallel.  I promise you the only thing scary in this list is the caloric content!  While living in Chicago I’ve been asked on many occasions if there are any, ‘uniquely’ Canadian foods.  After a bit of a hesitation I usually (but ever so politely) remark that although we do not have a lot of foods we can clearly call our own, we do fulfill the ‘comfort food’ category quite nicely.

In the above photo, I’ve begun our Canadian fare with one of my favs:  ketchup chips!  Oh how I miss these, ‘tomatoesque’ tantalizers!

SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA

– photo courtesy of http://alwaysinfo.co.uk

The second selection is also a crunchy number.  The comparison I can make to these chips is that of an, ‘everything’ bagel, if that means anything (note the vinegar, pepper, and onion on the bag).

Let’s leave the chip aisle and head to the bakery section for number 3 on our list:

Nanaimo-Bars

– photo courtesy of http://www.cookingclassy.com

Nanaimo bars! I don’t think I’ve been to too many Canadian events where these treats did not make an appearance!

At number 4, this is a superlative Canuck treat:

Buttertarts

– photo courtesy of cdn.cottagelife.com.s3

Oh my goodness, behold the classic, Canadian BUTTERTART! These tantalizing tarts are another Canadian staple on the entertaining circuit.

At number 5 we have my personal, all-time favo(U)rite chocolate bar (that’s what Canadians call, “candy bars”):

Crispy Crunch– photo courtesy of http://dworkins.com/

Ah, the Crispy Crunch chocolate bar! I can’t explain the taste; rather funny that I love them and can’t explain them! Well perhaps a metaphor for life, don’t you think?

At number 6, I am sure some of my wonderful readers might know, “Smarties” as one of these treats, but not both:

Smarties

– photo courtesy of http://whatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com/

The candy on the left is American (we call the equivalent in Canada, “Rockets”; a very popular treat at Halloween); the candy on the right is extremely familiar to Canucks.  Let me demonstrate the words from a Smarties commercial that I know off by heart (a Canadian, classic commercial, to be sure):

When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last,

Do you suck them very slowly, or crunch them very fast,

Eat that candy coated chocolate, but tell me when I ask,

When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?

Oh my, right now I am both embarrassed and amused at myself!

Rounding our lucky 7 on this most superstitious day, I bring you this Canadian staple:

TimBits

– photo courtesy of http://thelapine.ca

For those of you who have been following The Chicago Files for a while, you know my sheer and utter joy of Tim Hortons coffee, donuts, and yes, the illustrious, “TimBit”.  They are often referred to as, “donut holes” in the US, but don’t try to call a TimBit a mere, “donut hole” unless you wish to experience the rarity of impoliteness shown for such sensitive situations.

Lest you think Canadians are not a classy lot, look what we can do with a BIG box of TimBits:

Tim Bit Tower

– photo courtesy of pinterest.com

A tantalizing tower of TimBits placed perfectly on a pedestal!  Rather fitting for Canadian fun food, don’t you think?

Enjoy; after all, this might just be YOUR lucky day! 🙂

42 comments for “The Friday File…….Lucky 7 Uniquely Canadian Comfort Food Favo(U)rites

1. March 13, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I’ve seen the ketchup-flavored chips in a vending machine here, and found I didn’t really like them though I do like ketchup. I don’t understand why I balk at the chips…!

• March 13, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I think they might be an acquired taste! *grin* Cher xo

2. March 13, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Reblogged this on georgeforfun and commented:
    simulated flavor, sounds healthy and tasty to me, Ehh

3. yeseventhistoowillpass
    March 13, 2015 at 3:30 pm

They all look good and tasty.. Not one of those are down here. Timbits! Sign me up!

• March 13, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I certainly know what you mean; they are not down here! I miss them, believe me!! *LOL* Cher xo

• yeseventhistoowillpass
        March 13, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I’d go thru a box in five minutes.

• March 13, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I know that feeling!! 🙂

4. March 13, 2015 at 3:34 pm

no trans fat, full of I ain’t ever moving out of your body FAT, especially when I eat them instead of just looking at the package, Can’t eat just one, chip or bag, addiction therapy helped me break loose. )))))))))))))))))))))))

• March 13, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Hi ya, George!! *LOL* I guess my post should have come with a calorie warning, eh?? *biggest grin* *LOL* 😉 Cher xo

• March 13, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Howdy, I’m trying to develop a new slogan. It’ll have a pic of a famous booty (KK) and the label will say, Once it crosses her lips, it’ll live forever in her hips. Probably need a lawyer, wonder if the one representing RobinThicke & PharrellWilliams is available after his last lack of success?

• March 13, 2015 at 4:10 pm

*LOL* *biggest grin* Hahaha Did you know Robin Thicke’s father (Alan Thicke) is a Canuck?

5. March 13, 2015 at 3:34 pm

*LOL* Well I think you are a healthy Canadian! I haven’t seen a buttertart or Nanaimo bar in a longgggg time! Ah, thank you, you too!! Cher xo

6. March 13, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Steeeeep away from the timbits! I am armed with coffee!

• March 13, 2015 at 3:38 pm

*steps back, no questions asked*! *LOL* ;-P Cher xo

• March 13, 2015 at 3:40 pm

*Clinks a choco timbit*! best invention ever next to the maple donut 😉

• March 13, 2015 at 3:41 pm

*clink* agreed!!! 😉

7. March 13, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I have seen ketchup flavoured potato chips in Michigan, not here in Vegas. The Smarties are miniature SweetTarts, we ate the big ones as kids until our tongues would bleed. There are lots of Timmies in Michigan, not sure about any other state.

• March 13, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Ah, the SweetTarts! I love them! You know, I knew there were Timmies in a few of the Eastern states, but for some silly reason I didn’t think they had TimBits! I shall have to investigate this! *grin* Cher xo

8. March 13, 2015 at 4:15 pm

I just tried a 50 mile radius search around Chicago which yeilded zero results for a Timmies location. Sucks! Sorry. Maybe you can drive to southwest Michigan and find one there. You know you want to….

• March 13, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Ah, thank you, John! That’s very sweet of you to take a look for my Timmies! Yes, you are 100% correct! *LOL* Thanks!! Cher xo

9. March 13, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I dip my chips in ketchup here in ye olde USA and you wouldn’t believe the “ewww” grief I get from people. I’ve taken great solace, over the years, that if it came down to it I could bring my chips and ketchup to Canada and ask for asylum.

• March 13, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Chuck, you’d be welcome with open arms, I’m sure of it! I don’t think they’d even ask you to byok *bring your own ketchup*; they’ve got plenty! 😉 Cher xo

10. March 13, 2015 at 4:48 pm

…but I’m wondering. A blog on Canadian food, but no Poutine?

• March 13, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I was thinking about it, and then I realized, hey, Poutine is actually available here in the US of A. As a matter of fact, there is a Poutine restaurant here in Chicago! I hate Poutine, actually!! *biggest grin* What say you, Chuck? Cher xo

11. March 13, 2015 at 6:27 pm

being Canadian, this made me smile. Thank you for a Friday treat…now to head over to the store plus stop off at Timmy’s for a Double Double and a box of 20’s

Ax

• March 13, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Ah, thank you so much! Now, tell me I’m not a tad bit envious!! Cher xo

• March 13, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Noooooooo. But trust me. It’s a bad thing having those items you listed available 24/7. Unless you’re a pothead lol

• March 13, 2015 at 6:57 pm

*LOL* I suppose you are correct; nonetheless, I’d trade a Dunkin’ Donuts anything for a Timmies anything any day! 😉

12. March 13, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Ketchup chips? I will stick with the Timmies and Timbits 🙂

• March 13, 2015 at 8:11 pm

*LOL* Which I know you can access at this very moment!!!!! BAH!!! *grin* Cher xo

13. March 13, 2015 at 8:11 pm

TimBits and Nanaino Bars are calling me, Cher. If I lived in Canada, those would be my favo(u)rites!! Thanks for this fun post! Have a great weekend. 🙂

• March 13, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Thank you, dear Carol! I love everything in this post, but yes, TimBits and Nanaimo Bars are yummy!! You know, why did I write this post? I am missing all of these even more and it’s my fault! *LOL* Thank you, you too! Cher xo

• March 13, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Yes, I understand that writing about them is calling up in your mind, the tastes and textures that gave you such pleasure! Memories are two-fold, aren’t they? Ha.

• March 13, 2015 at 8:27 pm

They really are, aren’t they? You expressed that perfectly; thank you!! Cher xo

14. March 14, 2015 at 5:33 am

Good posr. I might add Maple Leaf Cookies to the list as well. I can’t eat any of this stuff anymore, but it sure is nice to look at 🙂

• March 14, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thank you, Norm! Oh yes, those are delicious! You know, I might just have to write a, ‘part 2’ of Canuck treats! Cher xo

15. RMW
    March 14, 2015 at 9:57 am

As a child in England my uncle worked at Rowntree, the company that invented Smarties (naturally he couldn’t stand the smell of chocolate!) but on my 4th birthday he sent a huge (well it looked huge to a 4-year-old) box filled with Smarties… when we came to the US and I tried to buy Smarties, what a terrible shock! The memory of opening that box of Smarties will live with me forever……

• March 14, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Ah, bless! What a wonderful memory! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! Yes, when I moved here I was quite surprised to see the word, “Smarties” written on the little sour candies. There must be some mistake, I thought! *grin* Cher xo

16. March 14, 2015 at 11:41 am

Never seen any of these over here in the UK (although we do have Tomato Ketchup favoured Crisps/Chips) apart from the candy coasted smarties. I’m wondering if the Cabury’s chocolate bar tastes like the Cadbury’s chocolate we get over here in the UK? I only ask as I’ve never been keen on Chocolate bars purchased in the USA apart, that is ,from peanut butter cups.

• March 14, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I wonder too, Hugh! Peanut butter cups are delightful. You do have me thinking about Cadbury, though. Cher xo

17. March 14, 2015 at 3:39 pm

I LOVED this post! The Smarties commercial… man, I haven’t thought about that for years, yet I could still sing right along with you (in my head). My favo(u)rite chocolate bar is Coffee Crisp… it’s always the one treat we bring back to the US. Originally from Winnipeg, then Toronto, we have moved around the US and are now settled in San Francisco East Bay. Spent a couple years in Naperville, IL… so I do appreciate your Chicago posts. Thanks for the nostalgia and for the laughs. PS: My pick for chips is “Dill Pickle”!

• March 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Thank you so much! *LOL* Well my dear, we have a lot in common; oh, except for the, “Dill Pickle” *eek*! *grin* Thank you for your comments; say, aren’t we Canucks everywhere? 🙂 🙂 Cher xo

Cbridge.ca