Glory Days of Train Travel: Union Station, Los Angeles

Many of you know that I absolutely love trains.  I spend a lot of time on trains, and have always been fascinated about train travel in the earlier part of the 20th century.  When I was in Los Angeles a few years ago, I was at Union Train Station.  This room is no longer in use; however, I did manage to stand at the gated door and stretch myself as far as I could to take this photo without tripping over the gate!

Built in the 1930s, this room is known as the, “Original Ticket Lobby”.  The ceiling is a whopping 62 feet (19m) and the ticket counter is 112 feet long (34m)!  Despite the fact (and frankly I don’t know why) this room is no longer used for dispensing tickets to travelers and adventurers alike, it is used on occasion for movies and commercials.

I apologize for the shadowed areas; it was very difficult to get a lighter shot of this enchanting room.  To me, even though it’s a huge space, it has a warmth and inviting feel to it.  Perhaps it’s the wood and lovely windows that make it so.

I hope your Saturday is traveling along nicely!

6 comments for “Glory Days of Train Travel: Union Station, Los Angeles

1. June 17, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Such a shame it’s no longer used, who’s responsible for that decision!!

• June 17, 2017 at 1:36 pm

I don’t know, John! I do wonder why they don’t use it, as it is a beautiful space! Cher xo

2. June 18, 2017 at 3:18 pm

I haven’t been to Union Station in Chicago in almost 40 years, but it was similar to this. Maybe every Union Station is like that. (I think Chicago’s Union Station was featured in the movie The Untouchables.) Pretty spectacular place, from another era. I’ll bet the Santa Fe Super Chief pulled in here after making its trek across the country. Those were the days.

• June 18, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Hi John, Yes, Union Station in Chicago has some similarities although I must say they both have their unique charm too. You are correct; they did film a sequence at Union Station. Ah yes, the Santa Fe Super Chief! I was on the Southwest Chief! Indeed, John! Cher xo

3. June 20, 2017 at 7:59 am

Ah, trains. Not much of a chance to use them anymore, but when I get a chance, I take those excursions. Just missed out on an excursion on an old steam train (check my blog in a couple weeks.) At least I got some pics, and I have tickets to travel a steam train in the Colorado Rockies in about a week! What’s that? Do I hear the ‘Orange Blossom Special’?

• June 20, 2017 at 9:28 am

Ah, lucky, lucky guy! I sure will check out your blog in a couple of weeks for the pics! Can’t wait to read/see it! Cher xo

Boomer Eco Crusader

Saving the environment one small change at a time

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.

SOUTHERN WRITER

This blog is all about writing and will also feature my poetry!

Ritu Bhathal

Author, Poet, Storyteller

Take It Or Leave It

The Modern Revolution Of American Patriots.

Dreams in Young Flourish

Diamonds, diamonds and stars

Ed Mooney Photography

The official blog of Ed Mooney Photography. Dad of 3, Photographer, Martial Artist, Gym Rat & Blogger. Exploring the historical sites of Ireland.