Throwback Thursday: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

I remember visiting Gettysburg a few years ago.  The entire  area is hallowed ground.  Practically every field you see in Gettysburg was walked on during the Battle of Gettysburg.  This American Civil War battle took place from July 1-3, 1863; it was one of the bloodiest battles in U.S. history.  The above photo is one of those battlefields.  I was there around dusk; the energy is fascinating and palatable.  I can’t even look at the photo without recalling the same fascinating feeling I had when I stood there to take pictures.  Literally, I felt as if soldiers were going to appear through the trees at any moment.

6 comments for “Throwback Thursday: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

1. Murph
    June 15, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I have visited Gettysburg twice, and the experience was unforgettable. An essay I wrote in my second year university many moons ago about Pickett’s charge years got an “A” and it was strictly because I could actually imagine in my mind what the situation must have been like in the moment’s leading up to that bloodbath having seen the battlefield in person. The stories from the outstanding guides on the tour, described 3 days of utter Hell, but it would ultimately change America forever, for the better.

• June 15, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Hi Chris! Oh, did you? I wish I could read your paper! I’m sure it was definitely worth that “A”! The experiences you had sound absolutely incredible. Yes, the guides are amazing, aren’t they? After hearing the stories and experiencing the place it happened, I bet you could feel what it was actually like during the Pickett’s charge. Did you walk along Pickett’s charge, Chris? I was fortunate enough that I was there on a day there weren’t any other visitors, so I walked the entire field myself. It was quiet, with just the strong wind waving through the grass. I agree with you; it sure did change America forever in a better way! Thank you so much for sharing this cool info.!! Cher xo

2. June 16, 2017 at 11:55 am

Such an evocative photograph…beauty and melancholy! thank you cher xo
    new blog for me: http://houseofheartweb.wordpress.com/

• June 16, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Why thank you my dear! I appreciate it! Ah, I’ll check your new blog out! Cher xo

3. June 16, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Gettysberg is widely known as the most bloody battle of the American Civil War but I recently saw a video on Amazon about the battle of Shiloh and that was pretty terrible. The places where such human strife happened can be very moving.

• June 16, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Hi Martin! Oh yes, Gettysburg is known for that. I feel there are a number of reasons why people tend to focus on the Battle of Gettysburg so much. In just three days of the battle, over 51,000 soldiers either died or were wounded; a huge amount in a very short period of time. Pickett’s Charge during the battle allowed the North (Union Army) to overtake the South (Confederate Army) which caused a turning point in the war itself. Oh yes, I quite agree; the first time I went to Gettysburg and drove by a huge monument I started to cry. Here’s me, a Canadian, with tears steaming down my cheeks for reasons at that time unbeknownst to me. Very moving indeed! Thank you for your words, Martin! Cher xo

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

SouthernBlondeChic

"Pour Your Passion To Find Joy In The Journey"

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos

Crow On The Wire

Poetry and Stories by Mark Tulin

BrewNSpew

Coffee-break Scuttlebutt

Cats in the Cradle Blog

Reviews, Giveaways, and More!