Chicago’s Architecture: Fire Escape Exit!

bridgeview-building

I thought I’d switch things up a bit, and share with you a photo I took in the evening, as opposed to my usual daytime shots!  This is the, “Bridgeview Bank Building” (built in 1924) in “Uptown” (a neighborhood in Chicago).  Do you recall a few weeks ago I wrote a post about the amazing moment when I was in a lovely old building, the elevator doors opened, and I was so grateful to see an incredible, architectural beauty that isn’t accessible to the public?  Here it is:  Synchronistic Moments!

The above photo is the back of that very building!  I love the fire escape stairs!  If you look closely to the right-hand side of the picture, you will see a neon sign with two martini glasses that says, “Uptown”; in its day, this was quite the neighborhood! The infamous gangster, “Al Capone” spent many ‘late nights’ in this area.

Have a peek at the detailing on this beauty.  It is referred to as the, “neoclassical style” in the architectural world.

Here is the front of the building (although I didn’t take this photo):

bridgeview-bank-front

Given the history of this particular area in the 1920s, I daresay it would be quite the convo if those fire escape stairs could talk! It might bring a new meaning to the phrase, “take the money and run”!

6 comments for “Chicago’s Architecture: Fire Escape Exit!

1. September 24, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Such lovely architecture and history. The front is gorgeous with is rounded roof line. Those stairs though, I’d be scared to try those but if the building is burning….

• September 24, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Isn’t it gorgeous, John? Ah, you’d be just fine on those stairs!!! I’m certain of it! After all, you drive on those crazy American highways! *biggest grin* Cher xo

2. September 24, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Awesome shot! We rarely ever used those things except at school. Growing up with fire drills was fun, except in winter and if we had to use the fire escape. Thanks for the memoriesofatime.

• September 24, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Ah, thanks so much, James!! I’m sure it was not fun in the winter to do the drills but yes, I’m sure the fire escape was fun when you were a child!! Cher xo

3. September 25, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Cher, I like the back of the building photo better than the front! Great architecture. As I am one of those “buffs,” I really appreciate your great photos of the historical buildings in Chicago. Hope you’re having a great Sunday! 🙂

• September 25, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Why thank you so much, dear Carol! Oh do you? Yes, it is quite an interesting perspective of the fire escapes, isn’t it? I hope you are having a great Sunday too my dear! Thank you! Cher xo

Skyscapes for the Soul - Jeni Bate

"I paint the skies with peace and passion, because that's the way they paint me."

Mike Powell

My journey through photography

Second Wind Leisure Perspectives

Fun, Fitness & Photography

Perkins Designs

Design ⋅ Photography ⋅ Art

Picture Perfect Memories for life

Myriad memories frozen in time

Nature And Photography