Post Office Profoundness!

Post Office Mural March 16 2015

At the risk of sounding as if I’m 105 years old, I remember a time when visiting a Canada Post building was a joyful experience.  I should clarify;  no, not the never-ending, always busy, frustrating experience winding up in a tizzy!  I recall  the massive, cave-like rooms which echoed with even the softest of footsteps.  There was brass everywhere, wickets likened to those found in the fanciest of banks.  Those days are left in the halls of time, replaced by teeny-tiny postal counters at the back of a pharmacy or facsimile thereof.

When I came to Chicago, imagine my sheer delight when discovering the United States Postal Service (USPS) has not swapped its capacious structures for those no larger than a postage stamp!  The above photo is a mural located in a USPS building.  My first thought upon surveying this painting was, “What the heck does it mean?” And then I grinned.  It was followed by a smile.  Lastly, a laugh (quietly, keeping in mind the building with its echoing edge at that moment).  My next thought was, “Who cares!” My stamps are not flanked by boxes of cold remedies and rubbing alcohol, or the bargain bin at the back.  No, I get to think about planting crops, which, according to the mural, will help me break out in poetry and song.

Re-string that fiddle, we’re going for the mail!

14 comments for “Post Office Profoundness!

1. March 16, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Let’s not forget Mr Sandburg’s “Chicago” 🙂 Something got him to burst out in poetry and there’s not much else around Galesburg but corn and beans and farmers so I’m blaming farming for that poem!

• March 16, 2015 at 7:38 pm

*LOL* Oh my goodness! Thank you so much, Mike! 1914; wow, what a town this must have been in Carl’s day! Every time I see the mural at the USPS, I will think of him! Cher xo

Liked by 2 people

2. jakesprinter
    March 16, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Great artwork looks masterpiece to me 🙂

• March 16, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Ah, yes, it does look very good, doesn’t it, Jake? I am so fortunate to see these kinds of art pieces here in Chicago! Cher xo

Liked by 2 people

3. March 16, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Who wouldn’t want to post their mail in alongside that mural? (I could hear your echoing footsteps and jingling keys.)

Liked by 2 people

• March 17, 2015 at 8:02 am

*LOL* I quite agree, Bruce! Truth be told, sometimes I try to make a little bit louder of a noise when I’m walking through because I love the echo!! 🙂 Cher xo

Liked by 2 people

4. March 17, 2015 at 5:50 am

Sad to say that our Post Offices are being relegated to the backs of small shops, here in the UK. I suppose the online revolution has seen to that, now that we can purchase our postage and have packets and parcels collected from home instead of walking to a Post Office to do the deeds.

Our postal service has also sold off many of its wonderful buildings, just to please its share holders. Sad times indeed.

Enjoy your trips to the Post Office and marvel at that wonderful artwork while it’s all still there.

Liked by 2 people

• March 17, 2015 at 8:06 am

Ah Hugh, sadly, it’s the same way in Canada. Oh yes, I quite agree; the online ease of sending packages and purchasing postage has occurred “for our convenience” at the price of enjoying a jaunt to these marvelous buildings.

Thank you, Hugh; I shall see if I can find some more noteworthy gems and I’ll post them here! Cher xo

Liked by 2 people

5. March 17, 2015 at 10:09 am

oh 🙂 beautifully written
    my 105,000 year old friend 😉
    put the kettle on
    Nx

• March 17, 2015 at 10:18 am

*LOL* Thank you, dear Niki! Cher xo

6. March 17, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Lovely post, Cher! And thanks for liking the USPS building. I’ve always felt the same way – almost like walking into a prestigious bank building.

• March 17, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Thank you, dear Carol! You know exactly what I mean! Cher xo

7. March 18, 2015 at 4:17 pm

What a charming thing to find.

• March 18, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I thought so too, Hilary! I have another one I’ll be posting soon. I also understand these murals are about 80 years old! I’m going to investigate! Cher xo

Viking Girl Adventures

To adventure is to live

Dr. Eric Perry, PhD

Psychology to Motivate | Inspire | Uplift

Saying Nothing in Particular

But happily ... JT Twissel aka Jan

Soul Writings

Our stories are gifts, and they need to be shared

Stories of ecstasy

Waiting On The Path of Happiness

Bryan Lunsford

A Site For Short-Stories

Boomer Eco Crusader

Helping you save time, money and the environment

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.