Live Long & Prosper (Literally)!

Spock Canadian Five Dollar Bill

– photo courtesy of facebook.com/CanadianDesign

As many of you know, Leonard Nimoy who played, “Mr. Spock” in the original 1960s series, “Star Trek”, passed on last week.

Recognition has flooded cyberspace, to be sure.  And yet, some Canadians felt that a more terrestrial tribute was in order.

The above photo is that of a Canadian five dollar bill, where one would normally find a drawing of Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Canada’s Prime Minister from 1896-1911.  Some Canadians have taken to rearranging the five dollar Canuck buck to resemble Mr. Spock, or, “Spocking Fives” (cannot take credit for this moniker)!

Here is the ‘un-Spocked’ bill:

Canadian Five Dollar Bill

– photo courtesy of tiredofit.ca

According to the Bank of Canada, it is NOT illegal to distort or deface Canadian banknotes.  Regardless, government officials are asking Canadians to refrain from doodling on the five dollar bills.

Interestingly enough, a new, polymer version of Canadian notes has been released over the past few years.  These are quite the tender, don’t you think?

New Canadian Five Dollar Bill

– photo courtesy of http://imgur.com/gallery

Plastic as to avoid tearing, and a “see-through” window providing even greater security for Spockless notes (oh, and counterfeiting, too of course)!

Dear, polite Canada; there isn’t a law against taking up a sharpie (pen) and Vulcanizing money, but the Government of Canada is respectfully asking you to please refrain from doing so.  After all, what would Mr. Spock think? I’m quite certain he’d think this was all,  “Most illogical”.  Bless you Leonard Nimoy.

25 comments for “Live Long & Prosper (Literally)!

1. March 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Love the art work! Australian money is also plastic these days. The States should follow this, it’s a great idea. Canadian money has always been so much more attractive than our dull green or whatever the colour is. It was pretty back in the 80’s when I lived in Ontario.

• March 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Isn’t it great, John? I think the States should do that, too! And yes, lots of color and plastic!! It would last so much longer than our current greenbacks, and they’d look a heck of a lot more attractive. I must say I had a difficult time when I first got to Chicago; with all bills the same color, I had to be extra-careful not to give a 20 instead of a 1!! Cher xo

2. Michelle
    March 7, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Love the new $5 bill highlighting Canada’s contribution to space exploration. They actually introduced the new bill from space when Chris Hadfield was commander of the International Space Station. How cool is that?

• March 7, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Hi my dear! That is soooo cool! Wow, I didn’t know that! Talk about Canadian proud!!! That’s awesome! I’m going to have to look that up! Thanks my dear! Cher xo

3. March 7, 2015 at 5:20 pm

When I first saw this I wanted one of my own!!! LOL

4. March 7, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I agree. We need beautiful money in the states, not the money we have that worships male domination on every bill and coin we use. Spook rocks and so should our cash.

5. March 8, 2015 at 12:16 am

LOL. that’s crazy!

• March 8, 2015 at 11:55 am

*LOL* Highly Illogical as Spock would say! 🙂 🙂 Cher xo

6. March 8, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I think that Wilfrid makes a fine Vulcan.

I still have a Canadian $10 bill (plastic) in my wallet. It’s a great conversation piece.

“Do you know that Canadian currency is plastic?” I ask US residents. They laugh, I pull out the bill.

They stop laughing and ask, “Are Canadian’s nuts?” 🙂

• March 8, 2015 at 5:34 pm

*LOL* I feel the same way! Hehehehe Now that is great! Take out that $10 and show the Americans how the moniker, “Crazy Canucks” is frightfully true! Plastic money, “Loonie” one-dollar coins, “Toonie” two-dollar coins. Yep, it fits!! Thanks so much for your comments!!! Cher xo

7. March 11, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I’d got to quite liking Singaporean currency, when I lived there, although all their bills had the same face on them. The bills are different sizes and colors, though.

• March 11, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Are they, Joseph? I had no idea. The same face I could see, but the different sizes, not so much. Although I must say the various sizes might help blind and low-vision folks determine the different bills. I’m going to look up the Singaporean currency. Thank you, Joseph! Cher xo

8. jakesprinter
    March 12, 2015 at 9:11 pm

• March 12, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Well thank you so much!! Cher xo

9. March 29, 2015 at 11:28 am

I think the image of someone like the fictional character Spock would be a much better choice to put on money than any politician, dictator, king or emperor. That will probably never happen, but for sure, Spock will end up on a postage stamp if he already hasn’t.

• March 29, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Agreed, Lloyd! I daresay a character like Spock certainly brings a much better influence to the world than a lot of individuals who are already sporting our bucks. Hhhmmm, I shall have to investigate the, ‘Spock stamp’. Most illogical if he already hasn’t! Cher xo

Cbridge.ca