The Friday File – 13th, full-moon….I know, let’s paddle!

Full Moon Paddle Event

[photo courtesy of chicagopaddlecompany.com]

As you probably know (and depending where on the planet you find yourself at this very moment you may have already experienced this phenomenon) Friday, June 13th is also highlighted with a most rare occurrence:  a full moon!

This has not happened since 1919, nor will it happen again until the year 2049.

The photo above is an event that is taking place this evening here in Chicago.  It is called, “Friday Night Lights Full Moon Paddle Event”.  This evening the idea is to get on a board, paddle out into Lake Michigan, and, well, come back to shore…………..in the dark…………………by the light of the honey-colored moon.

night_owl6hxdetail1 (2)

[photo courtesy of forums.station.sony.com]

Far be it from me to put the kibosh on some ha ha, hee hee kind of fun.  I don’t know, is it just me or does the idea of standing up on a board with only the use of a paddle IN THE DARK bother anyone? I mean, what if the man in the moon decides enough is enough and turns the moon beam machine down to low? Where are you now? I’ll tell you where you are now………….you are in the middle of Lake Michigan about to become intimately acquainted with the night owls who are watching you fall into the drink!

moon-CST-0616.jpg

[photo courtesy of voices.suntimes.com]

Wait, I’ve got a solution! Instead of being sad or ‘blue’ whilst paddling about attempting to get out of the lake, why don’t you take part in being ‘blue’ BY the lake; here, I’ll show you what I mean:

Chicago Blues Festival Blues by the Lake city of chicago org

[photo courtesy of cityofchicago.org]

Yes, you too can be blue BY the lake instead of part OF said lake.  Tonight begins the Chicago Blues Festival; Blues By The Lake.

I shall leave it up to you; your choice.  Do you sink, swim, or sing?  These things only happen once in a blue moon!

42 comments for “The Friday File – 13th, full-moon….I know, let’s paddle!

1. June 13, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I’ll stay on shore, please! Going to get my cam mounted on the tripod, and make an attempt at some good photos of the honeymoon. Honey Moon… Hmmmm

• June 13, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I’m with ya, John! Shore it is! Oh, that will be great if you’d be willing to share some shots!! Honeymoon…………..Honey Moon indeed! *LOL* Cher xo

2. Don
    June 13, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I like the idea of paddling by the light of the moon, Cher. Sounds marvellous. 🙂

• June 13, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Don! I wish I had the nerve to try it! All I keep hearing in my head is the song, “By the light, of the silvery moon….” 🙂 🙂 🙂 Cher xo

• Don
        June 14, 2014 at 3:23 am

I like that 🙂

3. June 13, 2014 at 5:58 pm

that’s it, i’m headed for the airport, on my way, see you next Friday 😉 any chance you can sling a rope around that big circle thing and hold it forever?
    xo

• June 13, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hope I didn’t disappoint your Friday night cuppa? xoxo
      Awh, if but I could!!!

• June 13, 2014 at 6:09 pm

right there beside you 🙂 move over the kettle’s on!
        big hug
        (mr. fahey, he’s an interesting one isn’t he)

• June 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Biggest grin!! 🙂 Cher xo

4. June 13, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Cool! Thanks for the reminder! I need to look up the time of moon rise tonight over our distant mountains. It should be spectacular. Don’t want to miss it!

• June 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Most welcome! Let’s see if you can get some shots of it! I’m going to try, as the moon will be over Lake Michigan! I’ll post if I get any good pics! cher xo

5. bluerock {aka debrazone}
    June 13, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Great article!

• June 13, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Awh, thank you my fellow Canuck! Thank you also for the follow! I am now following you and cannot wait to see/read more!! Cher xo

• bluerock {aka debrazone}
        June 13, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Thank you, Cher! I really enjoyed your post and am happy I “found” you. My husband and I lived near Chicago for a couple years before moving out to California. Have a soft spot for it!

• June 13, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Awh, bless! Well likewise my dear! It’s a wonderful place! As a Canadian you know how different it is here; and how similar it is as well! California! If I may ask, what area are you in? Here are a couple of posts from our fairly recent trip to Long Beach/LA:

We are absolutely enamored with LA/Long Beach! I felt a huge connection with The Queen Mary; strange, really, but it was as if I ‘knew’ the ship, if that makes sense! 🙂

• bluerock {aka debrazone}
        June 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Long Beach is awesome. We’re located in northern California – the San Francisco Bay Area… but my husband sometimes travels to LA on business and usually stays in Long Beach. I’ll definitely check out your links. Thanks!

• June 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Ah, northern Cali! Very cool indeed! Yes, we spent most days in LA but stayed in LB (sounds like I am talking in code: *LOL*) Oh, thank you for checking them out! Cher xo

6. bluerock {aka debrazone}
    June 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm

ps – yes, the Queen Mary is amazing, and I DO know what you mean.

7. June 13, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Scary thought, Cher – paddling on the lake without any light. Almost like “up the creek without a paddle” type of thing. I’m sure if I were there with you, I’d probably be on land, enjoying the concert!

• June 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hi dear Carol! I guess I’m not the extreme adventurous sort! I like what you wrote about the “up the creek…”! Very good, Carol! *LOL* Yes, I think being a ‘shore sticker’ is much better!! Cher xo

8. Lorraine Emmerson
    June 13, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hey, Cher, I heard about the moon today, here they referred to it as a phenomenon “Yellow moon”, last sighted in 2000 not to be seen again till 2046 or something like that/?? I did go outside about 10 minutes ago and cloudy, so no Friday the 13th ” Yellow/Honeymoon” to see (ha, ha). Probably a disappointment to all the Biker’s riding through town today, yesterday, all weekend to Port Dover, hhhmmm, now that would make a good story for you. We had some fun there eh Cher, filthy water, which is now really cleaned up, and Long Points strong current, nice but very dangerous. Almost rips off your swimming trunks. Enjoy the Jazz, sounds fun.
    Keep up the good reading for me, miss you Dearie. 😁 Love you both. XX Lorraine
    ps: it is also The Antique Bike Show @ The Paris Fairgrounds, all weekend & Fathers Day. Zowwie, I will stick home Sunday with Hubby & kidlets, wearing my ear plugs.

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 22:32:30 +0000
    To: lemmerson60@hotmail.com

• June 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Hi dearie! Oh no, it was cloudy? That’s a shame. We sure did! Port Dover was so much fun!! I remember those currents!! Yes, you have to hold onto your shorts tightly in that current! *LOL* Awh, bless you Our Lorraine! We miss you too!! Sounds like a plan about staying home! Hugs to you and Happy Father’s Day to Our Don!! Lots of love, Cher xo

9. June 13, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I like your moon. I took photos of mine here in Cleveland, Ohio

• June 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Hi Barbara! Thank you! I am wondering how the moon looked from locations all over the world! How did your view look? Cher xo

• June 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Cher, it was so bright that it was almost like the sun. Such a beautiful night. A gift to us all. Hugs, Barbara

• June 19, 2014 at 7:06 am

Awh, bless! It certainly was a gift to us all, dear Barbara!! 🙂 Hugs, Cher xo

• June 20, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Thank you. It was so bright and big and a gift. Hugs, Barbara

• June 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm

It sure was, Barbara! Hugs, Cher xo

10. June 14, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’m sure the Blues Festival would be great and definitely less dangerous than the paddle. I like the idea of the paddling, but this year, on another great lake I live near, Ontario, the water is still too cold that I’d never want to risk falling in. I assume Lake Michigan must be as cold.

• June 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Phil, you are totally correct! Because of the ‘cold’ winter we had here, Lake Michigan is much cooler than it normally is at this time of year. Yes, I’m with you; stay on the shore and smile and wave! *LOL* Cher xo

11. June 14, 2014 at 11:51 am

Wow, what a description – honey coloured moon! Actually, over here, it was a beautiful silvery coloured full moon – very bright. Was driving back after dinner by the beach and noticed this round moon shining so brilliantly. Sounds like you are having great fun this weekend with the blues festival. Have a fabulous time …, Cher. 🙂 Love, Iris.

• June 14, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Hi Iris! Actually, I wish I could take credit for the honey colored moon! Apparently that is what it’s called when the color is orangeish! Oh wow, the moon sounds beautiful as a silvery color! Lovely!!! Thank you, dear Iris! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend! Love, Cher xo

12. June 18, 2014 at 9:46 am

Just checking back with you. Can you believe it? I nodded off in front of the TV for the full moon. It would have been spectacular coming up behind “our” mountains. I caught it the next night and pretended it was full and took some crummy photos not worth publishing! Did you see it?

• June 18, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Oh no! Really? Bah!!! I’m so sorry about that! Yes, I did see it but my photos didn’t do it justice *LOL* You made me laugh because the next night I tried more photos thinking the same thing! *LOL*

• June 19, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Pics were much blackness with a fuzzy white dot. Not my best photographic efforts.

• June 19, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Mine are basically orange dots! *LOL*

• June 19, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I have a nice full moon photo in my archives. Will be posting it next week. 🙂

• June 19, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I’ll be looking for it! 🙂

• June 19, 2014 at 5:28 pm

😉

Bridgette Tales

Everybody has a story. Here's a little of mine.

Bonjour From Brittany

Celebrating what makes Brittany unique

Dawn Pisturino's Blog

My Writing Journey

Micro of the Macro

Recognizing & appreciating our oneness with Nature

Vova Zinger's Photoblog

The world around through my camera's lens

JJJ Interactive Books

Books and Poetry

100 Country Trek

Travelling is my joy of living. Sit back relax and come with me.

Jennifer's Journal