Thursday Doors: Uptown Broadway Building, Chicago

The lovely Norm from Norm 2.0 has a fun weekly feature called, “Thursday Doors”.  He invites fellow bloggers to share unique and interesting doors that we happen to find.

This fascinating door is located in the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago at 4707 Broadway Avenue.  The building was designed by architect Walter W. Ahlschlager and opened in 1926.

Suffice it to say, there is A LOT going on in and around this door!  A writer for the paper, “Chicago Reader” referred to the exterior (including the door’s surroundings) as “a riotous, Spanish-baroque inspired hallucination.”

Although I wouldn’t put it quite that way, the terra-cotta facade does seem to incorporate a lot of ‘interesting’ designs.

From fruit to helmets, I daresay this door would make a fine ‘find the object’ puzzle!

A rather ‘iffy’ urban legend mentions that the infamous gangster Al Capone had a speakeasy located in the basement of this building.  Then again, this is Chicago.  Strangely, the bar he used to frequent (Green Mill) is literally down the street from the deliriously decorated door in my post.

See how many different objects you can find in this photo! I’d love to hear what you come up with! Perhaps Al Calpone’s likeness is in there somewhere!  After all, he continues to leave his mark (in some capacity) all over Chicago!

Now if only we could find that elusive Capone buried treasure………

17 comments for “Thursday Doors: Uptown Broadway Building, Chicago

1. May 30, 2019 at 8:50 am

This is an amazing door and photo, Cher! I also see many types of shields, rams’ heads, possibly some type of musical instrument near the top, and a rather creepy, hovering man/child. It might be interesting to know what those smaller designs right around the door signify.

• May 30, 2019 at 9:37 am

Thank you, Becky! You found a lot of symbols! 🙂 I wondered that as well. I think that this type of design (despite its seemingly eclectic nature) must have meaning of some sort. That would include the smaller designs right around the door as you mentioned. Hhhmmm, now what could they be? Cher xo

2. May 30, 2019 at 9:51 am

Wow, this is amazing, I wonder if this is would be considered rococo style architecture. Beautiful photograph Cher xo

3. May 30, 2019 at 9:51 am

Fascinating… Oh, for the love of doors and the diverse architecture and personalities they attract and represent. Another lovey share, Cher! ❤

• May 30, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Ah, thank you so much, dear Bette! Why yes, they do, don’t they? I mentioned to Norm not too long ago that his weekly post has me scouting for doors which is something I hadn’t really thought much about. Now, I must tell you, Bette, that I’ve walked past this door (shamefully) MANY times and not given it a second glance! How that has happened is beyond me! But I certainly am looking now! Cher xo

Liked by 2 people

4. May 30, 2019 at 9:52 am

The level of detail above the door is incredible Cher! Wow, someone spent lots of time on this. ❤️

• May 30, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Isn’t that something, John? Can you imagine people creating that type of architecture these days? Well, perhaps in Vegas where you live! *biggest grin* Cher xo

5. May 30, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Wow, what a majestic portal that is!

6. May 30, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Oh yes indeed, there’s an awful lot going on with this entrance, but what detail work. Excellent find Cher 🙂

• May 30, 2019 at 8:15 pm

That’s for sure, eh Norm? *grin* Ah, thanks so much! Signed, the person with the new door addiction (thanks Norm)! Cher xo

7. May 30, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Definitely a LOT going on around this door and probably behind it as well. 🙂 Very European, at least in some European cities.

janet

• May 31, 2019 at 8:53 am

That’s for sure, Janet! Yes, it certainly does look European!! Thank you! Cher xo

Soul Writings

Our stories are gifts, and they need to be shared

Stories of Ecstasy

Waiting On The Path of Happiness

Boomer Eco Crusader

Helping you save time, money and the environment

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.

SOUTHERN WRITER

This blog is all about writing and will also feature my poetry!

Ritu Bhathal

Author, Poet, Storyteller

Take It Or Leave It

The Modern Revolution Of American Patriots.