Downtown Chicago From a John Hancock Perspective!

Last week I was in downtown Chicago and took a photo of the lovely architecture across the street from the John Hancock Center:  Friday File:  Downtown Chicago; Look Up!

Shortly after taking that photo, I had the good fortune to take some photos while looking out of a 30th-floor window inside the John Hancock Center.  The above pic is facing south with all kinds of interesting architectural styles included.  In the foreground on the right-hand side of the pic, do you see the ‘castle-like’ top of a building? That structure is known as the “Chicago Water Tower”; it was built in 1869 and is one of the only remaining buildings that survived the “Great Chicago Fire” of 1871.

I must tell you that there was such a glare inside the office I was in taking these pictures that I tried a number of different angles to avoid fluorescent light spots!

I hope your Sunday is clear with no glare!

16 comments for “Downtown Chicago From a John Hancock Perspective!

1. June 3, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Great photo Cher! Even more so with battling the internal lighting. 👍🏻😎

Liked by 2 people

• June 3, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, John! LOL I actually stood ‘out of the way’ and to the picture with my arm reached out (kind of difficult to explain)! 😉 Cher xo

Liked by 2 people

2. June 3, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Great shot. It reminded me that my first date ever was my first week at Northwestern and he took me to the top of the Hancock Tower. While I have no specific memory of the skyline at that time (or his name 🙂 ), I’m studying your photo and realizing how many of those buildings were definitely NOT there (including the Sears/Willis Tower). Wow, things change!

• June 3, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Isn’t it interesting how buildings and scenery can evoke memories (except a guy’s name – *biggest grin, Leigh*). Oh yes, I am wondering if there is a photo of a similar scene to compare with what we now see? I love your comments, Leigh! They make me appreciate Chicago even that much more! Thank you, my dear! Cher xo

3. June 3, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.

4. June 4, 2018 at 10:08 am

I spent a lot of time in that area because I went to Loyola, which is right across from the Water Tower. We used to hang out on the lawn that surrounded the tower until they put the fence up. Great shot of the area! I spent a lot of time there: used to work at Field’s in Water Tower Place and at The Gap on Chicago Avenue (which is no longer there).

• June 4, 2018 at 3:21 pm

That’s very cool, John! You definitely know this area well! Why thank you so much! Cher xo

5. June 11, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Wow so cool

• June 11, 2018 at 2:47 pm

It sure is a cool building, Lynn! But not one for people who don’t like heights! (I’m sort of in the middle on that one)! LOL Cher xo

Banter Republic

It's just banter

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

SouthernBlondeChic

"Pour Your Passion To Find Joy In The Journey"

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos

Crow On The Wire

Poetry and Stories by Mark Tulin

BrewNSpew

Coffee-break Scuttlebutt

Cats in the Cradle Blog

Reviews, Giveaways, and More!