Friday File: Downtown Chicago; Look Up!!

I was in downtown Chicago yesterday, and it seems to me that tourist season has begun!  We have such a vibrant downtown! I decided to ‘play tourist’ for a moment, and look up! I think I’ve mentioned this before that I always see people looking up; then again, the ‘locals’ seem to ‘look down’.  Well, it pays to look up sometimes!  I was standing in front of the John Hancock Center when I took this shot.  I almost bent over backwards (literally!) to capture as much of the Bloomingdales building as I could.

This is yet another example of Chicago’s eclectic architecture that seems to work in such a cohesive manner.  Do you see the church covered in foliage? To me, that is the epitome of the old blending in with the new.  I’ll have to take a wander into that church and snap some pictures to show you.

Happy Friday everyone!

20 comments for “Friday File: Downtown Chicago; Look Up!!

1. June 1, 2018 at 10:15 am

Nice looking building, the architecture and colour is perfect. Maybe some day I’ll drive through Chicagoland.

• June 1, 2018 at 10:16 am

It’s really cool there, John! Yes, you should instead of flying over the lake! LOL Cher xo

• June 1, 2018 at 10:39 am

I want to take a loooong road trip at some point, basically driving the entire country. Never done anything like this and now have the time and money to do it. Just waiting for a few things to align first.

• June 1, 2018 at 10:40 am

Well that sounds like a great adventure, John! Cher xo

2. June 1, 2018 at 10:39 am

When we lived in Chicago, we loved the beauty of this spot. Loved the church in your pic. I went to high school on Chestnut

• June 1, 2018 at 10:40 am

Oh my goodness, did you, Don? I was right around the corner from there as you can see by this pic! It’s just a great area! Thank you, Don! I’ll get over to that church and take some pics! Cher xo

3. June 1, 2018 at 11:54 am

I love playing tourist in the city….or when friends come to me and ask what they should do/see when they’re tourists in Chicago. Such a beautiful place! Great pic!

• June 1, 2018 at 2:44 pm

It is great fun, isn’t it, Meghan? I love doing that too! Ah, thanks so much!! Cher xo

4. June 1, 2018 at 1:11 pm

I always loved looking across Michigan Ave from the “new” skyscrapers (actually, my first time around in the area, as a student, Hancock WAS fairly new–uh oh I’m apparently old) to the view of that lovely old church. The Bloomingdale’s building went up not that long before I moved away and after I no longer worked downtown, so I don’t remember it and now I’m wracking my brain to remember what used to be on that side of the church. Lovely shot and it beautifully shows the fascinating juxtaposition of old and new in downtown Chicago.

• June 1, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Thank you so much, Leigh! Well I agree that the juxtaposition of old and new in downtown Chicago is delightful! And dare I say I think that so many big cities have done away with the ‘old’ that it isn’t always that you see this. I am sure it was quite a site seeing it for the first time, as it was for me when I moved here. Thank you, Leigh! I will visit that church soon and get some pics! Cher xo

5. June 1, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Wonderful, and again, old and new stand side by side.

6. The Militant Negro
    June 1, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.

• June 2, 2018 at 11:29 am

Merci, merci my friend! Cher xo

Viking Girl Adventures

To adventure is to live

Dr. Eric Perry, PhD

Psychology to Motivate | Inspire | Uplift

Saying Nothing in Particular

But happily ... JT Twissel aka Jan

Soul Writings

Our stories are gifts, and they need to be shared

Stories of ecstasy

Waiting On The Path of Happiness

Bryan Lunsford

A Site For Short-Stories

Boomer Eco Crusader

Helping you save time, money and the environment

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.