Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s “Despatch” Box

During my recent trip to Los Angeles, I stayed aboard my favorite place in the world:  The RMS Queen Mary. I will be posting some pictures soon of this magnificent ship.  Due to the popularity of the movie, “Darkest Hour” (and academy award-winning performance by Gary Oldman as “Prime Minister Winston Churchill”), the Queen Mary currently has a phenomenal exhibit of what life was like for Churchill during WWII.  There are many artifacts (and some replicas) depicting what was seen in the movie:  an underground British headquarters waging strategic moves against the enemy.

The picture above is that of the actual “Despatch” box that Churchill used during WWII.  Secretaries would put important (and often classified) papers into the box, lock it, and deliver it to Churchill.  Do you see the letters, “GR” on top of the box? That was the official symbol for King George VI, or, “George Royal” as the initials note.

I find Churchill an absolutely fascinating person.  He stayed aboard the Queen Mary many times, and planned part of the WWII “D-Day” invasion during one of his cross-Atlantic voyages.

There is a particular suite on the ship he frequented, and I was lucky enough to stay there during this visit.  How surreal it was to be sitting in the same living room area as Churchill had done on many cross-Atlantic voyages.  I’ll be posting more pictures from the exhibit soon!

12 comments for “Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s “Despatch” Box

1. May 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm

So fascinating, lucky girl, thanks for sharing. xo

2. May 12, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Very cool. I didn’t realize that it was open as a hotel. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

• May 12, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Hi Trent! Oh yes, a virtual ‘floating hotel’! I honestly can’t think of a place I love more than the Queen Mary! Shall post more soon! Thank you, Trent! Cher xo

3. May 13, 2018 at 5:12 am

I should have done rather a tour like that instead of the ghost tour… gosh… Thank you for sharing this, Cher 😁

4. May 16, 2018 at 1:42 am

Look forward to seeing your other photos of the exhibit 🙂 For the record the GR stands for the Latin – Georgius Rex. His official title had the word Imperator too which means Emperor with reference to the British Empire. Our current Queen is just Elizabeth Regina – The Empire having become the Commonwealth in the post war period 🙂 Apologies for being boring.

• May 16, 2018 at 7:00 am

Thank you for this clarity my dear! Not boring in the least! You were correctly my assumptions and I’m sure glad you did! Don’t forget, I’m from the Commonwealth so I want to get it right! Cher xo

5. May 16, 2018 at 8:10 am