Friday File: Reversal of the Usual

Today’s sky painting was most peculiar for a couple of reasons.  Facing east towards Lake Michigan, I am used to the clouds moving in from the lake, often causing the lovely whitecaps on the crashing waves.  However, the scene this morning was completely different.  The clouds were moving towards the lake and in an extremely quick fashion.

You will notice that the lake looks calm and serene; however, the winds were so strong that this is definitely an illusion from what I normally see.  The sun’s early morning wakeup dotted some yellowish tinges here and there.

Always changing, never static, the beauty of Lake Michigan and its surroundings never cease to amaze me.

I hope you have an amazing Friday!

21 comments for “Friday File: Reversal of the Usual

1. May 4, 2018 at 9:21 am

Love it. The sky is an ever changing museum.

• May 4, 2018 at 9:58 am

An, thank you, Don and I agree! What a lovely description! Cher xo

2. May 4, 2018 at 9:48 am

It seems the clouds should move East and away from you as the general flow of the airmass up there moves East to West. Gorgeous photo Cher!

• May 4, 2018 at 9:48 am

I meant West to East……

• May 4, 2018 at 9:58 am

Hi John! Well that’s interesting as normally the clouds appear to be coming across the lake towards me and when it is really windy the waves gain whitecaps. But today the clouds are seeming to go in the opposite direction and it is extremely windy (no whitecaps)! I should ask Chris Murphy from The Weather Network! Cher xo

• May 4, 2018 at 10:15 am

Do ask him, he’s better qualified of course! This seems like an Eddie, backwashing underneath the main airflow higher up? Chris, your thoughts?

• May 4, 2018 at 1:35 pm

I’ve sent him a message, John! Cher xo

• May 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Cool! I want the scoop when you get a reply! 😎❤️

• May 4, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Will do, John!!

3. The Militant Negro
    May 4, 2018 at 10:06 am

Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.

• May 4, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Ah, merci my dear!! Cher xo

• The Militant Negro
        May 4, 2018 at 5:06 pm

It’s always a joy to see your post, Be well and enjoy this May, Mon Amie.

• May 4, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Bless you my friend! And to you as well!! Cher xo

4. Murph
    May 4, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Loving the blog as always & since my opinion has been asked – usually I give it unsolicited ;)… John is correct in that the prevailing wind is west to east in our latitudes. However today (and the last couple of days in fact) we’ve had this boundary of conflicting air masses stretching from the southern tip of tornado alley all the way across the Great Lakes & beyond to the Atlantic Ocean & that is impacting the wind at lower & higher levels of atmosphere, both in terms of speed & direction. This has been the primary storm track across North America this week, and today in Toronto, we got whacked with 118 km/hr wind gusts (about 75 mph). Along with the winds, as I’ve been saying on air, expect “pauses between the pulse of precipitation in an otherwise persistent pattern” cheers

• May 4, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Chris, I was starting to think that my eyes were deceiving me when I saw the clouds moving in a different direction this morning! But it is great to know that John is correct about the prevailing winds, and that I was ‘right’ today! Hahahaha My goodness, that is extreme wind in Toronto, Chris! Wow!! I think your alliteration on air should be put to music and become a new weather song!!

John, you were correct! I think I must have Chris back for a blog post to talk with us about some interesting weather patterns such as those that have been happening in the past couple of days!

Chris, thank you for this excellent explanation!! Cher xo

5. May 5, 2018 at 4:43 am

Love!

6. June 1, 2018 at 12:01 pm

What a view!

• June 1, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Why thank you, Ellen!! It’s great to see you! Cher xo

• June 2, 2018 at 2:04 am

I don’t drop by here nearly as often as I’d like to, but it’s always a pleasure when I do.

• June 2, 2018 at 10:30 am

Well it is always lovely to see you, Ellen! You are welcome anytime! Cher xo

Ed Mooney Photography

The official blog of Ed Mooney Photography. Dad of 3, Photographer, Martial Artist, Gym Rat & Blogger. Exploring the historical sites of Ireland.

Banter Republic

It's just banter

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos

Crow On The Wire