Macy’s: It’s Already Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!

One of my favorite places in all of Chicago is Macy’s Department Store.  The building on State Street is sublime.  It was built in 1893, and definitely worth visiting, whether you love to shop or utterly loathe the idea.

During one of my recent trips to Macy’s, something caught my eye in a most interesting way!  Macy’s is known world-wide for their phenomenal Christmas/holiday displays.  Although (in my humble opinion), a very early start to the holiday decor, these presents looming in the ‘sky’ made me smile.

I tried hard to get a good photo for you; however, (and I mean this in the literal sense!) to give you the entire ‘picture’, would have meant that yours truly would have had to lay on the floor of Macy’s and point my camera upward!

Although the thought of getting a terrific shot would be brilliant, I just couldn’t quite bring myself to actually going through with it! *LOL* (I’m sure I have your understanding).  Reaching at 272 feet and 13 floors, hopefully that gives you a better idea as to how large this display really is!  The ‘present’ in the foreground looks close, but it was very high in the Macy’s sky!

Whew! With all that chatter I just put you through I’m sure you are ready for a cup of tea or some other libation of sorts!

Macy’s windows are a feast for the eyes during the holiday season.  They always draw huge crowds with their theme-centered displays.  I am curious as to what this year’s windows will be all about.  I have it on good authority (okay, ‘google’, but you get the picture) that the windows will be revealed today at noon Chicago time.  I’ll be doing a post about the windows in the next few weeks.

I hope you are having a lovely Saturday!

22 comments for “Macy’s: It’s Already Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!

1. November 4, 2017 at 9:47 am

Christmas is already so near … tempus fugit!

2. November 4, 2017 at 9:56 am

Too too early!!!

3. November 4, 2017 at 10:14 am

I used to go downtown every Christmas with my best friend just so we could see the Christmas displays at the Marshall Fields (it will always be Marshall Fields in my mind) on State Street. I don’t really like Christmas, but seeing those displays are some of my fondest memories of growing up in Chicago. I also loved the “Christmas Around the World” display at the Museum of Science and Industry – me and my brother used to spend our Saturdays there (of course admission was free back then). Those were the days!!!

• November 4, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Well I will be posting pics of the windows at Macy’s soon! I know that a lot of people think of it as Marshall Fields (and always will, no doubt)! Thank you, SD! Cher xo

4. November 4, 2017 at 2:31 pm

The windows at Marshall Field’s (now Macy’s) were always one of the high points of the Christmas season. I wonder what Macy’s will do.

Did you read where Macy’s plans on selling floors 8-13 to someone who plans on converting it to office space? I think all that area used to be things like fur storage and kitchens for things like Frango mints. I’ll be interested to see how they manage that. I can’t imagine people walking through the store after hours if they’re working late, so I would think there would have to be a separate entrance and elevators.

• November 5, 2017 at 10:43 am

Most definitely people still refer to it as Marchall Field’s, John! I didn’t know about floors 8-13! Goodness, I can’t even imagine people walking through the stores after hours either! They’d have to be escorted with a security person, wouldn’t they? Or as you suggested, separate entrance and elevators! It would be a gorgeous building to work in though! Cher xo

5. November 5, 2017 at 2:13 am

Great shot even if you didn’t lie on the floor to take it! Lol.

• November 5, 2017 at 10:45 am

Hahahaha Thank you, Marje! I wasn’t wanting to be trampled on by shoppers (even for a great pic)! *LOL* Cher xo

6. November 5, 2017 at 7:05 am

Macy’s is a place we always visit when visiting New York, especially at Christmas time, Cher. In fact, I have quite a few Christmas tree ornaments with Macy’s on them. Always brings back memories of the original ‘Miricle on 34th Street’ movie.

• November 5, 2017 at 10:46 am

Oh do you, Hugh? That is lovely that you have quite a few Christmas tree ornaments with Macy’s on them! I love hearing that! Ah yes, one of my fav Christmas movies!! Thank you, Hugh! Cher xo

7. November 6, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Selfridges London store is well known for its Christmas window displays. I guess I’ll have to pop down with a camera nearer the time 😉

• November 6, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Well my dear, can you please pop down and take a few pics of Selfridges London store window displays! I would absolutely love to see them! I’ll be posting the Macy’s window pics soon!! Cher xo

• November 6, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I’ll see what I can do 🙂

• November 6, 2017 at 3:47 pm

No pressure whatsoever! I got a little over-zealous there, didn’t I? *grin* Cher xo

• November 7, 2017 at 1:14 am

It’ll give me an excuse to go shopping 😉

• November 7, 2017 at 7:11 am

*biggest grin* Why, who am I to argue with that? 😉 xo

8. December 12, 2017 at 1:53 pm

I have to admit, I’ve stayed a little mad at Macy’s for dropping the Marshall Field’s name that, to me, will always belong on that store. Loving your photos of the Christmas displays though!

• December 12, 2017 at 3:32 pm

*Biggest grin* Ah yes, Leigh! I have heard this on many occasions since moving to Chicago. I wish I would have had the opportunity to visit a Marshall Fields before they were purchased by Macy’s. Thank you, Leigh! Every time I post one of these pics, I’ll secretly say, “Marshall Fields” directly to you! Cher xo

Dreams in Young Flourish

Diamonds, diamonds and stars

Ed Mooney Photography

The official blog of Ed Mooney Photography. Dad of 3, Photographer, Martial Artist, Gym Rat & Blogger. Exploring the historical sites of Ireland.

Banter Republic

It's just banter

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos