Frank Lloyd Wright Series: Architect’s Studio

Frank Lloyd Wright Architects Room

Continuing in our Frank Lloyd Wright series, the above photo is the balcony of the design studio.  This two-story area of the Wright home was an area of collaboration between Wright, artisans, and architectures.  Frank Lloyd Wright’s famous Prairie style was created in this room.  Other magnificent Wright structures began on paper in Wright’s office (seen in the next photo):

Frank Lloyd Wright Office

I love behind the scenes information.  Here’s a little interesting nugget of Wright lore.  Although it is difficult to see in this photo, Wright created the bathroom of the studio behind his office and down a flight of stairs.  If you look at the stained glass windows at the back, below was a set of stairs leading to the bathroom.  Not only did Wright ‘hear’ the door open (which has a glass inlay) and close to get to the bathroom, he could also see who was going through the door, as the ledge behind his office was an open concept (note the green plant, book; this is actually a ledge that you can look through to see ‘down’ the stairs).

Apparently this intentional ‘basement bathroom design’ allowed Wright to know if his architects were taking too many breaks away from their work!

I suppose it can be said that genius in one realm should not imply rational behavior in another! Nonetheless, Frank Lloyd Wright’s magnificent mind allows future generations to bear witness to his amazing, creative structures.

19 comments for “Frank Lloyd Wright Series: Architect’s Studio

1. Mr. Militant Negro
    April 12, 2016 at 8:09 am

Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.

2. April 12, 2016 at 9:29 am

Those dang bathroom breaks getting in the way of working – ha! I love all the woodwork and decorative touches 🙂 I have a fair amount of wood in my house and have had a few people tell me they thought it was too much. I feel it brings warmth, a sense of home and depth to my home. I have learned over the years to balance that wood with fabrics, metallics and pops of color. Thanks so much for sharing 🙂 Happy Day – Enjoy

• April 12, 2016 at 10:01 am

*LOL* Yes, I am sure FLW was a bit on the micro-managing side, wouldn’t you say? I love wood! I think it does bring a wonderful warmth to a home! Yours sounds lovely! Happy Day to you too my dear! Thank you for your lovely words! Cher xo

3. April 12, 2016 at 10:18 am

Incredible!
    I started blogging this month, and it is a pleasure that I came across your blog.
    It has inspired me to start my third article.

• April 12, 2016 at 10:29 am

Why thank you so much! Welcome to The Chicago Files! Welcome also to the ‘blogosphere’. I shall check out your blog!! Cher xo

4. RMW
    April 12, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Although I am a big FLW fan, that attitude reminds me of a boss I once had…. everybody had to sign in and out of a book whenever we needed to use the bathroom! In fact, bathroom use other than official break time was severely frowned upon!

• April 12, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Oh my goodness, that is horrible! Well I have read a lot about FLW as a person and I am afraid most of it is not flattering. Despite his phenomenal talent as an architect, the person behind the genius is another story! Cher xo

5. Amy
    April 13, 2016 at 8:43 am

Beautiful photo of his studio! Fun background info about the bathroom. 🙂

• April 13, 2016 at 8:45 am

Why thank you so much, Amy! *LOL* Yes, FLW certainly had his share of “idiosyncrasies” Cher xo

6. April 14, 2016 at 11:50 am

So excited to see this second post!

7. April 15, 2016 at 8:08 pm

That Frank Lloyd guy thought of everything didn’t he!!! I can spot his style a mile off! He sounds like Mr. Penman of Penman’s of Paris textile mill back in the day. He had a look-out high up top of his house to see if people were leaving work early, he’d fire them!! Nice guy!!

• April 15, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Isn’t it cool, dearie? Ah really? Wow! Sounds like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons! “Release the hounds………………”!! *LOL* Cher xo

Dreams in Young Flourish

Diamonds, diamonds and stars

Ed Mooney Photography

The official blog of Ed Mooney Photography. Dad of 3, Photographer, Martial Artist, Gym Rat & Blogger. Exploring the historical sites of Ireland.

Banter Republic

It's just banter

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos