Chicago Blackhawks: In the finals, and that’s no lion!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Well now, what do we have here?  Why, it’s a bronze lion sporting a Chicago Blackhawks helmet!

There is a tradition here in Chicago which I utterly love.  Whenever a Chicago sports team makes the final round or game in their particular sport, the prominent bronze lion statues ‘guarding’ the front of the Art Institute of Chicago get a bit of a makeover.  The helmet or hat of the ‘final round team’ is placed upon the head of each lion (there are two).  At this very moment, the lions are sporting “Chicago Blackhawks” helmets!! (The Chicago Blackhawks are Chicago’s National Hockey League team).

Here’s another angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Since 2010, the Chicago Blackhawks have made the final round three times, winning the ultimate hockey prize, the “Stanley Cup” in 2010 and 2013; currently, they are in the 2015 Stanley Cup Series.  Before their monumental win in 2010, the Chicago Blackhawks had not won the Stanley Cup since 1961.  It’s quite a feat to be in the finals three times in the past five years.  I do believe their decades-long drought was sprinkled with some very special hockey hydration!

Canadians love hockey.  It’s in our blood.  I have a little gem to share with you.  My father has been a Chicago Blackhawks fan since the 1950’s.  On April 16, 1961, this dedicated Blackhawks fan listened to ‘his team’ win the Stanley Cup game.  He was sitting outside in his 1955 Buick catching the game on his car radio.  And it was cold outside, but he didn’t care.  The reception on his radio inside the house wasn’t very clear, and there was no way he was missing this historical game.  If this isn’t dedication to the Chicago Blackhawks team, then I don’t know what is!  You might be thinking, gee, isn’t it interesting that my dad has been a Chicago Blackhawks fan all of these years and where does his daughter end up living?  Hhhhmmmmm coincidence? I’d bet on the Stanley Cup that it’s not!

For all of the Chicago Blackhawk fans out there:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!

29 comments for “Chicago Blackhawks: In the finals, and that’s no lion!

1. June 7, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I love the tradition, but why does it have to be the Hawks?

Thus sayeth the girl from North of Philadelphia. Oh my poor Flyers.

Oh, I am going to reblog.

• June 7, 2015 at 2:44 pm

*LOL* Ah, the drought since 1961 is over for our fair city’s team, but I totally understand what you are saying! Thank you so much for the reblog, despite your Flyer fan heart! *biggest grin* Cher xo

2. June 7, 2015 at 2:41 pm

I’m more than happy to cheer on the blackhawks! So long as the Bruins don’t get it again! ugh ever since the canucks playoffs and what they did to Mason Raymond back then!

3. June 7, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Reblogged this on This British-American Life and commented:
    Cher is a Canadian expat living in Chicago, and what I love about her blog, The Chicago Files, is that she uses words and photos to describe her life in such an upbeat and refreshing way. Today’s post is a rather good one. It’s all about the Art Museum’s sticking of hockey helmet’s on their signature lions that stand guard outside in honor of the Chicago Blackhawks reaching the Stanley Cup Finals. It’s a fun way to support your local team, even though my Philadelphia Flyers loyalties are internally grumbling.

4. June 7, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Great post! We are sorry or beloved RedWings were eliminated so soon this year, boo. Vegas has no sports teams which sucks… Love the tradition of the helmeted lions! if I remember correctly, Canada invented hockey? Love your new avatar by the way. 🙂

• June 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Why thank you, John! Yes, Canada invented hockey which derived from the ancient European game of, “Bandy” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy
      I love the helmeted lions, too! Sadly, the Chicago Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908, so no Cubbie hats yet! Thanks, John! I’m a naturally curly girl! *LOL* Cher xo

5. June 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I’m no hockey fan, but love your story.

(I used to follow the sport and the Hawks were my team.)

• June 7, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Why thank you, Bruce! Well that is good to hear that when you did cheer for a hockey team it was ours!! Cher xo

• June 7, 2015 at 3:49 pm

It goes back many years. Tony 0 was our goaltender and his brother broke scoring records while playing center for the Bruins. That was a long time ago.

• June 7, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Ah yes, Tony & Phil Esposito; two Ontario brothers who were amazing players! Cher xo

6. June 8, 2015 at 2:34 am

Love the photo. It reminds me of the lions in front of New York’s main library. At Christmas time, someone hangs huge wreaths around their necks and look majestically absurd.

• June 8, 2015 at 10:55 am

I did not know about these New York lions, Ellen! I love it! “Majestically absurd”! *LOL* Cher xo

7. cadeauca
    June 8, 2015 at 8:26 am

As a disgruntled Habs fan who is still mad at Tampa, I say GO HAWKS GO! Also it’s always nice when an Original Six team wins.

• June 8, 2015 at 10:58 am

*LOL* *LOL* Well I quite agree; even though I am a Hawks fan, I too like it when an Original Six team wins. GO HAWKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for cheering for them (but understandably it is under a small amount of duress! 😉 Cher xo

8. June 9, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Enjoy it! I’m already looking forward to Thanksgiving night, Lambeau Field 🙂 http://goo.gl/XAqRZQ

9. June 10, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Love your new icon – big smile with the blonde locks 🙂 I’m impressed with the Chicago Blackhawks info you are presenting – all new to me as a UK person. We’ve bought into a bit of the American Football but Ice Hockey remains a distant sport. Something to be enjoyed at the Winter Olympics 😉

• June 10, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Well thank you so much! That’s the natural hair (I usually straighten it)! The Chicago Blackhawks play tonight! Hoping for a win! Hockey is such an integral part of the Canadian culture, so I’m really happy that this big, American city I live in is embracing their team brilliantly! Stay tuned, dear, I’ll be reporting more about the Hawks!! Cher xo

10. June 11, 2015 at 11:37 pm

This is interesting to know. I am not a big hockey fan but enjoyed reading about this tradition.

• June 12, 2015 at 11:26 am

Oh, thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate it! I guess I am very lucky to be Canadian and living in a US city that is such a hockey place! Cher xo

11. June 23, 2015 at 10:02 am