President Abraham Lincoln, how I simply love Springfield!

Springfield State Capital

Isn’t this a magnificent structure!  This building is the Illinois State Capitol Building.  The capital of Illinois is Springfield; no, not Chicago as some might think.  The first time I traveled to Springfield, Illinois I mistakenly asked if this building was the, “Legislative Building”; oh my goodness!  We’re not in Manitoba anymore!  I transposed my Manitoba thoughts of the, “Manitoba Legislative Building” (where the Province of Manitoba’s lawmakers convene) to Illinois!

Springfield is the hometown of President Abraham Lincoln.  I love this little city, steeped in history and fascinating tales.

The Illinois State Capitol Building was not the original, though.  A 5-minute walk finds us standing in front of the “Old State Capitol Building”, as it is affectionately called.  Here, have a look:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As a member of the Illinois House of Representatives, President Lincoln walked the halls of this ‘stately’ building.  Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth at the Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C. on April 14, 1865.   On April 21, 1865 a funeral train took his body from Washington, DC to Springfield, stopping at many locations along the way in order to allow people to pay their final respects to a much-loved president.  On May 3, 1865, the train arrived in Springfield, and a final farewell was held in the Old State Capitol Building.

To honor the 150th anniversary of this exceptionally historical event, Springfield will host a very solemn re-enactment of the funeral procession from the Old State Capitol Building to President Lincoln’s final resting place:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The re-enactment will take place on Saturday, May 3rd, 2015 but there are a number of other events planned from Friday, May 1st through Sunday, May 4th.  Here is a link for more information:

It was fitting that it was an overcast and melancholy day when we visited Lincoln’s Tomb.  Luckily I had numerous tissues in my purse.  I have no explanation as to why I am so fascinated by Abraham Lincoln; but I am.  I say this because in Canada we do not study much (if anything) about this phenomenal historical figure.  Nonetheless, his legacy and contributions to the United States strike a deep chord within me.  If you have the chance to visit Springfield, Illinois, please take the opportunity to explore the compelling history of this incredible soul!

26 comments for “President Abraham Lincoln, how I simply love Springfield!

1. April 4, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Great photos, Cher. The old building isn’t so bad really, nice colors and maybe Greek or Roman in the columns? I assumed you were from somewhere in Ontario, never been to Manitoba.

• April 4, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thanks, John! Yes, I haven’t investigated the style of the building, but you must be correct with either Greek or Roman. *LOL* Yes, I am originally from Southern Ontario, but spent many years in Manitoba! Cher xo

• April 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Oh, OK! I think extreme deep bitter cold when thinking Manitoba, open spaces and blistering winter winds!

• April 4, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Which is precisely why you will NEVER read anything written by me about how cold it is here in Chicago!! *biggest frosty grin* Cher xo

2. April 4, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Wonderful photos!

• April 4, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Thank you so much, Cindy! I really appreciate it! Cher xo

3. April 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Beautiful architecture, great photo, Cher! 🙂 ❤

4. April 4, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Great shots Cher! With a little history lesson at that 😉

5. April 4, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Gorgeous photos, Cher, I felt like I was taking a tour with you. 🙂
    Yes, Lincoln wasn’t studied much in school here in Canada, but I’ve always found him fascinating.
    Thanks, as always, cool. 🙂

• April 4, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Ah, that was the intention; thank you so much, Donna! Yeay! I don’t remember ever studying him either. So coming to the US I found the Lincoln history incredible. Thank YOU as always!! Cher xo

6. April 4, 2015 at 7:11 pm

They are pretty handsome buildings for the era.  I admit the domes seem narrow to me, but I also know that was the style when they were built.

• April 4, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Yes you are right, Joseph. I don’t know what that style is called, but it certainly was popular at the time. I’ve taken a tour in both the current state capitol building and the old one as well. They both have incredible charm! Cher xo

7. April 5, 2015 at 1:28 am

Great photos, I love the architecture.. so magnificent! Thanks for sharing these 🙂

8. April 6, 2015 at 10:35 am

Late getting to my weekend emails, Cher. Been busy. I am so glad you did this post about A. Lincoln.and Springfield. I had forgotten that this was “his” city of residence. Beautiful buildings. I’m looking forward to your (I’m sure) coverage of the events early next month. Do you plan to be there?

• April 6, 2015 at 10:46 am

Ah, bless you, dear Carol! Busy lady! Yes, this was his home and it’s such a lovely little town. I don’t think I’ll be able to attend the events early next month, but I will write about it nonetheless! Cher xo

9. April 6, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Thanks, I never knew any of that.

• April 6, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Thank you, Hilary! I didn’t either until I visited Springfield (I’ve been there numerous times). Each visit I learn more. Lincoln was an utterly fascinating person. Springfield has a museum dedicated to Lincoln, and it is one of the best museums I have ever seen. Here’s the link in case you’d like to see what I mean: http://www.illinois.gov/alplm/Pages/default.aspx I could write an entire post on this place alone! Cher xo

10. April 7, 2015 at 9:08 am

I also love Springfield…spent a lot of time there years ago… Nice pics!

• April 7, 2015 at 9:10 am

Thank you so much, Billy Ray! Oh did you? Then you know exactly what I mean about Springfield’s charm! Cher xo

Cbridge.ca