Brooding Skies & Wrathful Waves!

Navy Pier 2, Chicago

I daresay the day I took this photo it was not difficult to figure out what type of mood Lake Michigan was experiencing! Take a look at that water!  Its surface had the same characteristics as boiling water (without the boil, thank goodness).

Ah the skies; you can see the John Hancock Building in the center with its antennae reaching for even greater heights than its already towering presence.  Do you recall the photo in a recent post which showed a path in Lincoln Park Zoo that seemed to ‘point’ straight to the John Hancock Building?  This angle of the John Hancock was taken from Navy Pier.  Can you see the birds in the sky that look like dots?  It was incredibly windy, and true to their nature, the birds were going with the air flow!

Despite the fact the skies seemed to correspond with the mood of Lake Michigan, you will note a bit of brighter sky here and there.  Interestingly enough, it cleared up quite nicely shortly thereafter.  Perhaps the cranky mood subsided and all returned to a calmer condition.

I think I have just unwittingly utilized, “pathetic fallacy”; human feelings and traits given to nature and inanimate objects.  Ah, Mother Nature, you certainly are expressive, aren’t you?

21 comments for “Brooding Skies & Wrathful Waves!

1. April 2, 2015 at 8:43 am

Guess the pretty skies decided to not be so photogenic eh 😛

2. April 2, 2015 at 9:08 am

I agree Mother Nature is always expressive and often reflects our moods r visa-versa 🙂 .. Lovely photo. and beneath all that grey cloud we know there is a brightly lit piece of sky right above it.. Just waiting to shine down upon us..

Have a beautiful weekend Cher.. and Happy Easter to you… Hugs Sue ❤

Liked by 2 people

• April 2, 2015 at 9:42 am

Ah, bless! Thank you, dear Sue! I feel the same way. And to you as well; thank you! Happy Easter!! Hugs, Cher xo

3. April 2, 2015 at 11:38 am

Like the weight of the image. I sometimes really enjoy days like the one shown here.

• April 2, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I do too, Kimberly. Sometimes they seem just perfect, don’t they? Cher xo

4. April 2, 2015 at 11:41 am

This makes me think of George Costanza, “The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.” I don’t know why, but, the water does look angry, but the sky looks happy, so maybe they found a compromise.
    Excellent photo, Cher and I love pathetic fallacy, it highlights our connection with nature.
    Thank you, as always. Hope this day is good to you. Hoppy Easter!
    Big hugs, Donna xo

• April 2, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Oh my goodness that quote is perfect! *LOL* I had forgotten all about it, even though I love Seinfeld! Brilliant! Yes, it was a compromise, wasn’t it Donna? Awh, bless! Thank YOU my dear! And a big Hoppy Easter to you, too! Big hugs, Cher xo

5. April 2, 2015 at 11:42 am

May be gray sky, but for me there is a lot of drama in the B&W cloud structures.

• April 2, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Oh yes Mary, I quite agree. I shall post another photo soon of some very interesting clouds that virtually rolled over Lake Michigan one day. It was almost as if they were on some sort of mission. I will be interested to have your take on it. Thank you, Mary! Cher xo

6. April 2, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Reblogged this on georgeforfun.

7. April 2, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Great photos of the city, never been there except the airport several times from which the city looks tiny in the distance. The water might be all agitated as it is trapped at the south end of the lake I suppose.

• April 2, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, John! Ah, you could very well be right about that! *LOL* I kayak on Lake Michigan and sometimes the water appears ‘friendly’ when in fact it is far from it! Sunk the kayak a few summers ago! Cher xo

8. April 2, 2015 at 5:02 pm

The antennae of the John Hancock Building are why a (former) friend of mine said its real name, outside Chicagoland, was the “Oh, I Thought That Was The Sears Tower”.

• April 2, 2015 at 5:17 pm

*LOL* Hahaha, that is funny, Joseph! He certainly wouldn’t be the first, that’s for sure! 😉 Cher xo

9. April 3, 2015 at 5:09 am

You are going to need to take your photo show on the professional road.

• April 3, 2015 at 7:52 am

David, you are MUCH too kind. Thank you for your extremely thoughtful words. Cher xo

10. April 3, 2015 at 5:08 pm

I love these grey green colours and the angled frame of the shot, plus the miniature birds.

• April 3, 2015 at 5:19 pm