I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In………..

Lake Ontario Dec 29 2 2014

Lake Ontario Dec 29 2014

You’ve no doubt gathered by now I’m a bit of a water fan!  I love the ocean, lakes, streams, and yes, even a babbling brook now and again.  During our recent trip to Canada I took a few sunrise photos at Toronto’s HarboUrfront (note the conspicuous, “u”).  Having the absolute pleasure of living so close to Lake Michigan seems to provide me with a comparative nature when it comes to our Great Lakes!  Lake Ontario is what you see in the above photos.

There is a huge difference between Chicago’s lakefront and that of Toronto’s:  accessibility.  Thank goodness for the visionaries of Chicago’s waterfront marvel.  They realized the sheer and utter importance that accessibility for all would play for decades to come.  Chicago’s lakefront shoreline boasts 28 miles (or for those keeping track in the metric world, 45 km) of parkland, beaches, and walkways.

I’m afraid the same cannot be said for Toronto’s water spectacle.  Most of the area is lined with private companies and residences; not easily reachable for the most part.

Almost equal in distance, Toronto’s 46 km of shore along Lake Ontario is limited in its public usage.  Such a shame, really.  I do hear through the proverbial grapevine that Toronto is attempting to do some much needed improvements to the waterfront in order to make it enjoyable for everyone.  Not to play favorites, mind you, but Chicago’s founding fathers certainly invoked their visions in the proper direction:  right towards Lake Michigan:

Lake Michigan #2 Dec 2 2014

44 comments for “I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In………..

1. January 6, 2015 at 11:06 am

Wow, I had no idea Toronto had such limited lake access. That’s not good, I hope that changes. I was in Toronto just once many years ago but have excellent memories of the city. Would love to visit now. Does our not using the letter U in words bother you? Recently I read an article written by a British woman about language difference between the States and the UK. The comments on the article got rather nasty which I found totally ridiculous.

• January 6, 2015 at 11:14 am

John, it is so sad to know that Toronto has a huge waterfront and most of it is impossible to enjoy (well, from a distance, yes). It’s a great city, but I do believe they made a gigantic error in the planning (or lack thereof) of its waterfront gem. It will be interesting to see what/if they can do something about it. You know, at first I couldn’t get use to the missing “u”; when I see anything spelt with the “u” I notice it immediately. Oh heavens, isn’t that ridiculous indeed! Cher xo

2. January 6, 2015 at 11:07 am

I’m right there with you…well almost. I love oceans the most and then some lakes. Rivers? For fishing 😉 BTW did you bring back some Timmies supplies with you?

• January 6, 2015 at 11:15 am

*LOL* Oceans are my favorite, followed by lakes. Yes, rivers not so much, but that’s probably because I’ve never seen a river that was clean and pristine! We brought back ONE BAG of Timmies! Sore point, really! *LOL* Cher xo

• January 6, 2015 at 11:17 am

Only one????? GASP!

• January 6, 2015 at 11:19 am

I know! You can see my sad little face, can’t you? 😦

• January 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Sniffle, yes 😦 Was it because of customs?

• January 6, 2015 at 1:41 pm

It was lack of planning on our part which went something like this: “Oh, sure, we’ll grab a bunch of bags of Timmies before we go back to Chicago.” I am sure we can get it anywhere.” BAH!! The night before we came back to Chicago, we found no Timmies at any grocery store or pharmacy; we went into a Timmies and they had ONE BAG LEFT *unreal* and it wasn’t even the beans; a fine-grind. We grabbed it and away we went! We’ve got a good friend who will be attending a conference here in Chicago in a few weeks. Hoping they read this (*not too subtle, am I?*) 😉

• January 6, 2015 at 1:46 pm

If you ask nicely I know someone in Ohio who could help you out with a shipment if you start to ration your one bag 🙂 🙂

• January 6, 2015 at 3:37 pm

No way!!!!!! WOW! Really??

• January 6, 2015 at 4:32 pm

If you get the jitters and need your fix we can work out something 🙂

• January 6, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Bless you!!! Yippee!! Thank you soooooo much!! 🙂

3. January 6, 2015 at 11:11 am

Wait wait a second, Are those sail ship masts I see? 🙂

• January 6, 2015 at 11:15 am

Ergo the title of this post, my friend!! ;-P

• January 6, 2015 at 11:21 am

Well hey you could of been talking about regular toot toot ships 😛

• January 6, 2015 at 11:26 am

I’m just being silly! You know me! *LOL* Yes, those ships were awesome! I thought it looked cool to see them against the sunrise! 🙂

• January 6, 2015 at 11:42 am

Even cooler if you sailed in one 🙂 I’d be on the masts myself 😀

• January 6, 2015 at 11:45 am

Awesome!! And HUGE vats of ice cream! Now that’s sailing!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• January 6, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I’ll have a vat myself perched up there with a view heh!

• January 6, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Now THAT is a given!!!!!!!! ;-P

4. January 6, 2015 at 11:23 am

What’s even more hilarious about the lakefront is that several people in Toronto’s city planning department talk about having a waterfront more like Chicago’s – of course, only after they’ve allowed all of the condos to go up and block any decent view of the lake. The stadiums may be close by – hockey, soccer, football, and baseball – and there’s a museum or two, sure, but that’s it. You can hardly see the lake at all when you drive in from the suburbs, and even the “waterfront trail” has to take several detours away from the water. It’s really poor vision.

• January 6, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Thank you so much for your comments! I think I had heard about that too. Well I think it’s a tad bit too late to replicate Chicago. But yes, you are right; it’s hard to get a good view. And here we are in Chicago able to access it anytime. Gee, Toronto!! Cher xo

5. January 6, 2015 at 5:07 pm

as pretty as a picture, now there’s a funny ol’ saying
    xo

• January 6, 2015 at 5:26 pm

*LOL* Isn’t it, indeed? Cher xo

6. January 7, 2015 at 7:21 am

It was something I found crazy when I was there! I went down thinking I’d be able to go for a walk right on the water but wasn’t to be. Still, so, so beautiful to look at! And great to hear they are thinking of doing something to make it more accessible. I think I drove my Canadian friends mad with my “are you SURE it’s just a lake though?”- it’s a huge I couldn’t get my head around at all!!

• January 7, 2015 at 7:27 am

Hi Laura! Yes, your experience is exactly what drives me crazy, too. I am not kidding when I say thank you to the forefathers of Chicago. They were visionaries who fought diligently to make Chicago’s waterfront the gem it is today. Toronto has a long way to go with that one! Ah yes, our great lakes! Amazing in size!! Big hugs to you, cher xo

7. January 7, 2015 at 10:53 am

Hi Cher. I’ve enjoyed all this “talk” about lakes and different bodies of water. I enjoyed reading about Timmies, too. All I have to say is this: I’m glad for you that you are lucky enough to be able to see Lake Michigan and enjoy it as you do. Me? I have a lake in back of my house. Sure, it’s no where near Lake Michigan; in fact, my late husband Bob used to call it a “pond.” However, it’s still a lake and I am very lucky to be able to see it every day. There’s nothing like a lake, big or small. So, hurray for Chicago!

• January 8, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Ah, thank you so much, dear Carol! Oh do you? That must be wonderful! I think it is a blessing to have a lake in back of your house. No, it’s not Lake Michigan, but it is I am sure serene and beautiful!! Hats off to lakes!! *LOL* Cher xo

8. Michelle
    January 7, 2015 at 9:23 pm

LOL on the Timmie’s Cher. I’ll see what I can do! 😉

• January 8, 2015 at 7:52 pm

You ROCK, Our Michelle!! Thank you!! (Even a wee bit would be great)! You know who is sitting here with A BIG GRIN!! Cher xo

9. Michelle
    January 7, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I used to love driving into Toronto along the Gardiner and as you turned the one bend, there was such a beautiful view of the lake and the city centre beyond. Sadly now…there are big condo buildings in the way.

• January 8, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I bet it was a great view. And yes, now all those big condos blocking the nature! Bah to that! Cher xo

10. January 8, 2015 at 6:25 am

Beloved Cher,

Thank you for this gorgeous post and pictures!!! I definitely needed some peace in my world this very minute and thanks to you I’m – wait for it . . . – smooth sailing into it. See what I did there? The boats? LOL

Super huge love your way, my dear friend, have a most beautiful day! 🙂

Allison XOXO

• January 8, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Well my dear girl! Thank you so much. Don’t you worry, the tide is turning; it’s all going to be “glorious”! I owe you a message; will do that soon!! Lots of love and hugs, dear Allison! Cher xo

• January 9, 2015 at 4:40 am

You are so amazing, love! Thank you for that word! 🙂

And please don’t ever feel you owe me anything, take your time and I’ll be around. Actually something happened yesterday after I emailed you and I thought wow, I need to run that by Cher . . . haha, but I shall not bombard you. It’s just a quick little question.

Have an AWESOME day, dear friend, enjoy the every, every minute.

XO

• January 9, 2015 at 7:11 am

Please ask! I’m just a bit behind with things this week, but ask away! I’ll look forward to hearing from you!! And to you as well, my dear! xoxo

• January 9, 2015 at 7:12 am

Ok!! I will – you are awesome! You will like it I think 🙂

• January 9, 2015 at 7:24 am

🙂 xoxo

11. January 8, 2015 at 9:58 am

Beautiful photos as ever. I love the seaside, especially in the winter!

• January 8, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Ah, thank you so much, Veronica! Oh yes, you and me both my dear!! 🙂 Cher xo

12. January 10, 2015 at 10:31 am

I have always found it amazing that Chicago does have such lakefront access. It is a gift and I always felt it to be so special- a chance for those living in a major city to have such beauty and nature right outside their door.

• January 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Thank you for your comments, dear Kimberly! I quite agree; it is a very special ‘gift’ Chicagoans have been given. Talk about the best of both worlds! Cher xo

13. January 10, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I love the water to. I was raised on the ocean. Said that any lake could be so inaccessible. Hope it changes.

• January 10, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Hi there! Thank you so much for your words! I agree with you, it should be something accessible to everyone!! Chicago is very lucky! Cher xo

Writing and Illustrating