Land of Lincoln – Literally!

Lincoln Home 2 Sept 2014

With perfect blue skies and temperatures to write home about, we had the pleasure of visiting the Illinois State Capital of Springfield, and home of President Abraham Lincoln.  Speaking of “home”, Lincoln purchased the home shown in the above photo in 1844 for $1,200.  He and his wife (Mary) lived there for 17 years.  They had four children (all boys), but only one child survived until adulthood.  This is the one and only home Lincoln ever bought.

I love the fact the National Park Service allows the public to go into Lincoln’s home, because it really does provide a sense of connection to this iconic and cherished President.  Park Rangers guide the tours, which last about 15 minutes.  I wanted so desperately to break away from ‘the pack’ and take it all in for myself.  Yes, a selfish sentiment on my part, but perhaps you might feel the same should you ever visit, “Honest Abe’s” home (he was called, “Honest Abe” in the truest sense).

Photographs were allowed to be taken inside the home; however, no flash and the group moved so quickly it was difficult to get any really good pictures.  Here are a couple I wanted to show you, even though I wish I had more:

Lincoln Desk Sept 2014

This is Lincoln’s actual desk! I know the quality of the photo is not the greatest, but I hope you get a sense of the historical significance and pretend you just woke up and your eyes are a bit fuzzy! Ah, yes, now you’ve got it!

Lincoln Living Room Sept 2014

This is a photo of the Lincoln ‘informal’ livingroom.  Apparently Mary Lincoln spent a lot of time in this room, probably catching up on a sewing project or two! Someone on the tour asked if all the furniture was Lincoln’s; apparently quite a bit of it is the real Lincoln deal, although some pieces of furniture are not.  I figured you would be thinking the same question, but unfortunately the tour guide did not identify every aspect of each room.

Lincoln Home Oct 2013

What’s going on? We are back outside and it’s curiously cloudy? No, I took this photo last year when we visited Springfield! The other photos are of a recent trip, but I wanted to show you something in the, “now and then” category.  The angle of this photo of Lincoln’s home has been taken gazillions (not a word, but darn it I like it!) of times over many decades.  Here’s what it looked like once upon a time in the, “Land of Lincoln”:

Lincoln Home circa 1850 2

[photo courtesy of ironbrigader.com]

Although I couldn’t find the exact year this photo was taken, I think it was circa 1855.  Do you see who is hanging around in the front yard? *grin*

For reasons unbeknownst to me, I have strong affection and appreciation for Abraham Lincoln.  It’s rather strange; and yet, I feel somehow as if I understand how ‘ahead of his time’ he seemed to be in his actions and words.  I don’t think I have done a decent job at explaining this very well, so I will simply have to hope you understand it on a level of feeling, despite my lack of accurate explanation!

Lincoln was quoted many times with what I consider, “gems for the ages”.  I shall finish this post with two of my favorites:

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

“Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
    — Abraham Lincoln

51 comments for “Land of Lincoln – Literally!

1. September 14, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Great photos!!

• September 14, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Awh, thanks, John! I had hoped for better photos inside Lincoln’s home, but I think the ones outside are okay! Cher xo

2. September 14, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I loved visiting there as a kid! Thanks for bringing back the memories! 🙂

• September 14, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Oh thank you for your comments! As a Canadian I didn’t learn a lot about Lincoln as a kid. However, I am now! Cher xo

3. September 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm

oh wow this is where it all began huh!

• September 14, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Andy!!! 🙂

Yes, Abraham Lincoln actually lived in that house when he was told he won the presidency! Cher xo

P.S. It is good to see you!! 🙂

• September 14, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Elo! wow imagine if the walls could talk, the stories they would tell 🙂 xo

• September 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm

It would be incredible, wouldn’t it? It’s interesting you would use that wording, because that just might be part of my post about The Second City! 🙂 Cher xo 🙂

• September 14, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Just a thought 😉

• September 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm

It is a good one!! Wow, now you really have me thinking…. what would the walls say? :-). Amazing to think about!

4. September 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Nice blog post and great photos. It is fun to see them. When I was a kid, school field trips to Springfield were a standard for many school districts. The bus rides seemed to take forever, but that was part of the adventure.

• September 14, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Thank you, Bruce! I am envious that you took school field trips to Springfield! I recall field trips to Niagara Falls feeling the same way! Cher xo

• September 14, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I’ve never been. As a kid, I wanted to see them. Still do.

• September 14, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Oh you must see Niagara Falls, Bruce! It’s quite overwhelming the first time! As a kid though, I don’t think I appreciated the beauty and wonder of it all. As an adult, I certainly do! Cher xo

5. September 14, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I love the two quotes. He was a humble man.

• September 15, 2014 at 7:06 am

Thank you, Susanne; I agree completely! Cher xo

6. September 15, 2014 at 9:59 am

WOW this was an intriguing post! I learned alot and loved how you took us through the photos – and time! Great quotes, Cher. I especially love the ‘silent’ one – that quote always resonated with me. What an inspirational man.

Have a happy Monday! XO Hugs!

• September 15, 2014 at 10:27 am

Thank you, dear Allison! I love the quotes, too! With a Happy Monday back at you, my dear!!! Cher xo

7. September 15, 2014 at 10:38 am

Reblogged this on aksharaalu – Best Collections.

8. September 15, 2014 at 11:19 am

Lovely quotes and interesting post on Abraham Lincoln, Cher. 🙂 Love, Iris.

• September 15, 2014 at 11:47 am

Thank you, Iris! The more I find out about Abraham Lincoln, the more I am amazed at this true visionary. Love, Cher xo

9. September 15, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I really enjoyed reading the post and looking at the photos. Lincoln continues to intrigue me – such a fascinating man.

• September 15, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Thank you so much Kate! I really feel the same way; he was a complex person and yes, fascinating indeed! Cher xo

10. September 15, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Loved reading about this historical place. I was never there; actually, I was never in Illinois! So, you have been my tour guide once again, Cher. And thanks for the photos. They bring it all alive – even the “fuzzy from sleep” one! 🙂

• September 16, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you, Carol! I am going to keep playing tour guide!! *LOL* I knew you’d get the “fuzzy from sleep” one!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Cher xo

11. September 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Those are some grand photographs, and the one with Lincoln in the yard is especially great. Thank you.

• September 16, 2014 at 7:29 am

Thank you, Joseph! Oh yes, it was surreal to be taking a photo of the Lincoln Home only to find a photo taken with President Lincoln standing in the front yard!! Cher xo

12. mk
    September 16, 2014 at 11:28 am

What an honor to see his home.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

Oh indeed! It was truly an honor and I was so grateful! Cher xo

13. September 16, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I finally got to travel to the windy city, can´t buy a ticket now to get back to the U.S so I´ll be traveling to Chicago through your blog. I had no clue Lincoln had a house in Chicago, liked this post too, I´m a bit of a history buff. American history that is, and I´m from Spain or the land of the wild bulls some people say…not really just me. Glad you made a stop on my little crazy blog. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

• September 16, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Hi there! Thank YOU for stopping by The Chicago Files! Abraham Lincoln’s home is in Springfield, IL which is about 3 hours South of Chicago. He was born in Kentucky, but lived in Illinois for a good part of his life. Oh, Spain! I am sure it is a gorgeous country! Feel free to stop by the blog anytime, and I’ll be back to yours soon! Cher xo

14. September 17, 2014 at 7:06 am

Great intro for me as I have never seen the house. I was surprised by the busyness of the carpets against the simplicity of the furniture. I know and love the quotes. A great man.

• September 17, 2014 at 7:21 am

Thank you, Hilary! Astute observation regarding the carpets; the wallpaper was also, “busy”; this seemed to be the order of the day, as it were. I am wondering if it is in part due to their limited choices of furniture styles. Perhaps Mrs. Lincoln wanted to show a more grand persona! He certainly was. I am astounded with each bit of information I read about him. Cher xo

15. September 18, 2014 at 7:59 am

Nice report! We need to drive down to Springfield to have a look. Isn’t it interesting how standards of living have change. In Lincoln’s day this humble house was the home of an important leader.

• September 18, 2014 at 8:03 am

Thank you, Mike! Oh yes, it is most definitely worth the drive. I actually felt the exact same way! The house was originally even smaller than it is now; the Lincoln family put an addition onto the house, so I cannot even fathom what it must have been like before the ‘extra’ space. And to think they had parties where the entire house was virtually jammed to the rafters. Our guide told us that one of the Lincoln sons (reportedly) tried to get upstairs during one party, and it took him an hour to get through the crowds! Who really knows for sure, but now that I’ve seen the inside of the house, it doesn’t seem that far-fetches! Cher xo

16. September 19, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thank you for all of this, it was awesome!!!

17. September 30, 2014 at 3:27 am

Loved reading about your experience in Springfield! I was there a year ago and it brought back fond memories. President Lincoln is one of my favorites! He was a very clever man and though he suffered from depression, was able to do a great service to our country. If you have a chance, and haven’t already done so, Gore Vidal’s book on Abraham Lincoln is quite fascinating to read. Thank you for sharing your visit with us!

• September 30, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Ah, thank you! President Lincoln is one of my favorites, too! What a humble, gentle, amazing man he was. Yes, and I love his quotes! Oh, I haven’t read Vidal’s book on Lincoln; I shall have to get it! Thank you!! cher xo

18. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez
    October 10, 2014 at 6:35 pm

We learned so much about Lincoln at one time that we were aficionados. My daughter made a folk art image of Lincoln in 5th grade. 🙂 I love your images! To see inside his home must have been incredibly moving. ❤

• October 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Oh that is wonderful! As a Canadian, we did not study Lincoln but somehow I have always been absolutely fascinated by him. Now that I have had the opportunity to be in his Springfield home, it became more prevalent that I want to know more! It truly was a moving experience!! Cher xo

Viking Girl Adventures

To adventure is to live

Dr. Eric Perry, PhD

Psychology to Motivate | Inspire | Uplift

Saying Nothing in Particular

But happily ... JT Twissel aka Jan

Soul Writings

Our stories are gifts, and they need to be shared

Stories of ecstasy

Waiting On The Path of Happiness

Bryan Lunsford

A Site For Short-Stories

Boomer Eco Crusader

Helping you save time, money and the environment

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.