As you wish……………..

The Princess Bride

[photo courtesy of guthriegreen.com]

The Princess Bride; ah, my all-time favorite movie.  I cannot recall how many times I have seen it; and yet, each time elicits the same smiles, laughter, and yes, clapping (I love it when the ‘good guy’ wins)!  The photo below shows the beautiful Buttercup and her hero and true love, Wesley:

The Princess Bride 2

[photo courtesy of http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com%5D

The movie was released in 1987, and to this day evokes quotes from the movie on behalf of yours truly.  Such marvelous lines in this movie!

In the beginning part of the movie, Buttercup repeatedly asks the farm hand (Wesley), to assist her in various tasks.  Each time she asks he replies, “As you wish.”  What he is really saying is, “I love you”!

The Princess Bride 6

[photo courtesy of, “http://wrwdc.com/%5D

Oh how I love that line!!

As Buttercup continuously expresses her utter loathing of the Evil Prince Humperdink, he fiercely proclaims, “I would not say such things if I were you!” Oh, here he is, lamenting as usual:

The Princess Bride 3

[photo courtesy of https://cdn.empowernetwork.com/%5D

Perhaps at this point in the program you may be asking yourself what prompted this Monday morning movie recall.  I love synchronicity.  I am fascinated by those little serendipitous moments that allow one to take pause and ponder the question, “Hhhhmm, is that merely a random occurrence, or is it perhaps a tiny indicator of that which is larger than our human understanding?

Here is my lovely little “coincidental” preponderance about, “The Princess Bride”.  After years of watching the movie from my Canadian town over and over again, quoting the lines ad nauseam, and feeling such a connection to the movie for its profusion of clever lines and witty character interaction, I recently came across something rather interesting.

Throughout the movie, a scene is shown repeatedly of a grandfather reading a book to his grandson, who is home in bed with a cold.  The story, of course, is, “The Princess Bride”, and the ‘cut-away’ to the story-reading scene is brilliantly interwoven with the actions of what is being read to the little boy.

Have you ever heard the saying, “Hiding in plain sight?”  I recently found out that, although not specifically stated in the movie, the screenplay notes that the little boy and his grandfather live in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Illinois!  And where, pray tell do I find myself at least once (if not twice) a week?  Downtown Evanston, as a matter of fact.

The Princess Bride 5

[photo courtesy of http://iyellaboutbooks.blogspot.com/%5D

The above picture shows the boy (Fred Savage) sporting a Chicago Bears football shirt, while the grandfather (Peter Falk) reads, “The Princess Bride”.  Little did I realize all those years ago that I would be living not only in the country where my precious and adored movie takes place, but in the same city!

Perhaps it is just me, but I find something very special and magical about this correlation.

On this Monday morning as you stroll about your town, completing tasks that perhaps seem rather routine, please keep this in mind:  Conceivably your mundane moments will lead to something much more magical than you can possibly fathom.  As you wish!!!

38 comments for “As you wish……………..

1. July 7, 2014 at 8:12 am

Inconceivable! 😉

2. July 7, 2014 at 8:25 am

I’ve been wanting 2 watch this movie again! One of my faves 2! Magically rad post!

• July 7, 2014 at 8:27 am

Awesome, my dear! The Universe clearly loves the interweaving of a magical tapestry! Thank you!!!! Cher xo

3. July 7, 2014 at 9:18 am

I have not seen Fred Savage since the “Wonder Years” was on TV. That was a great series.

Liked by 2 people

• July 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Wasn’t it terrific, Ronnie? I saw a photo of Fred Savage not too long ago, all grown up; however, he still has that “Wonder Years” face if you know what I mean! *LOL* Cher xo

4. July 7, 2014 at 9:56 am

I have loved this movie and will never stop! It resides in my collection too, thanks for the smiles this morning!!

• July 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Awh, that is so great to hear, John, on all accounts; thank you! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Cher xo

5. July 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

Lovely post. Lovely words “As you wish”. What a movie! 🙂

• July 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Thank you, dear Iris! I get goosebumps everytime I watch this wonderful movie! When I stroll around Evanston, Illinois now, I’m going to say to myself, “As you wish!” 🙂 🙂 🙂 Love, Cher xo

• July 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm

They are actually nice words to use, so obliging … Thanks for sharing, Cher. 🙂 Love, Iris. 🙂

• July 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I agree completely, Iris! Thank YOU!! Love, Cher xo 🙂

• July 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm

🙂 Have a lovely day, Cher.

• July 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm

And to you as well, Iris; thank you!! 🙂

6. July 8, 2014 at 8:10 am

“My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” When my son was growing up, we watched this movie monthly. Now, whenever I see it on TV, I watch it again. Wonderful fantasy…

Liked by 2 people

• July 8, 2014 at 8:40 am

Hi Theresa! Isn’t is wonderful! Yes, I love that so many of us know a lot of the dialogue! I use to say to friends in college………..”Drop………………your………………sword!” For us that meant, “I do not agree with what you just said!” *LOL* Awh, such nice memories for you with your son! It really is a movie that resonates with many people!! Thank you, Theresa! I’ll be in Evanston tomorrow whispering, “As you wish…………” 🙂 Cher xo

7. robertsonwrites
    July 9, 2014 at 2:41 pm

A movie that I never turn down the opportunity to watch. Excellent. 😀

• July 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I feel the same way!! Hugs, Cher xo

• robertsonwrites
        July 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm

😀

• July 9, 2014 at 9:34 pm

As you wish!! 🙂 Cher xo

8. July 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hi! In recognition of your support, I have nominated you for the Reader Appreciation Award. You can pick up your award here:
    (sorry that I can’t provide an actual link)

• July 11, 2014 at 7:28 am

Hi Barbara! Well thank you soooo much! I am really honored and appreciate this immensely! Thank you!!! Hugs, Cher xo

9. July 9, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Aw, now, see, I live in Lansing, Michigan, where the movie Tooth Fairy happens. What kind of cultural touchstone is that?

• July 10, 2014 at 7:11 am

To me, quite an impressive one I’d say, Joseph!!! Cher xo

10. July 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

Great movie, great review! love your site!
    Thank you very much for following! Eddie

• July 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Awh, bless! Thank you, dear Eddie! Right back at you!! Cher xo

11. July 13, 2014 at 12:26 am

i couldnt resist reading every word:) so beautifully written that i felt walking with you and feeling the same.

• July 13, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Ah, bless you my dear! Thank you so much! That is so sweet of you! I feel it was such a lovely connection for me to find out my favorite movie had connections to the place I now call home! I hope you have a wonderful day!!

• July 14, 2014 at 12:36 am

• July 14, 2014 at 7:06 am

God Bless you, too; thank you! 🙂 Cher xo

12. Mike Babcock
    July 15, 2014 at 10:40 am

Love the movie and also very interested in synchronicity/ life’s little coincidences… Many times, I will come across a very random crossword puzzle answer on something I had just discussed the day before– so random it does make you wonder…is someone trying to tell me something 🙂 Nice post!

• July 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hi Mike! Isn’t it a wonderful movie? I too am fascinated by synchronicity and the coincidences we find ourselves experiencing from time to time. Your crossword puzzle answer and the ‘synchronistic moment’, is precisely what I am talking about. Situations as you described always make me feel as if these moments occur to allow us to ponder their meaning. I for one think it was no random event at all; simply another wonderful little piece of the puzzle!! Thank you, Mike! Cher 🙂

13. laura kilty
    July 31, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Aw! This is one of my all-time favourite films too! I was going to put the Inigo Montoya line in but I see someone did it! 😀 I’ve watched it hundreds of times and read the book about as many times! It’s SO beautiful. Synchronicity is also a beautiful thing. To me, we are given these moments of clarity where we can acknowledge them, so affirming we are on the right path. Love the film, love your post!x

• July 31, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Awh, me too as you can see! *LOL* That’s okay, you can say the line too! It’s a good one! Yes, isn’t synchronicity wonderful? I absolutely LOVE it and makes me reminded of the connectedness of everyone and everything! Thank you, dear Laura!!! Cher xo

Cbridge.ca