Tiffany Thursday…….Surprises in Chicagoland!

Stained Glass Tiffany

Will wonders never cease!  Feast your eyes on this magnificent Tiffany (yes, THAT Tiffany) stained glass creation! This stained glass window is at least eight feet tall! How do I know this? Why, on my wanderings of our fair city and suburbs, I was in Evanston, Illinois (home of actors John Cusack of 80’s teen movies fame, and Jeremy Piven who plays, “Mr. Selfridge” in the Masterpiece Theatre’s series entitled, well, “Mr. Selfridge”) when I came upon this enchanting artwork and snapped a photo.

[photo courtesy of yours truly – *grin* please click on the photo for an amazing closeup – feel free to gaze away!]

At first I thought, wow, this sure is a fancy building! But after some sleuthing, I discovered that the gentleman who owns this particular old and charming building (Carlson Building) happens to be a collector of Tiffany stained glass windows, among other notables.

Apparently there is a museum dedicated to his priceless collection located in Evanston.  I shall skulk around soon and report back with my findings.  Do stay tuned.  In the meantime, enjoy my stumble upon of timeless Tiffany!

43 comments for “Tiffany Thursday…….Surprises in Chicagoland!

1. March 6, 2014 at 10:25 am

I am still a lil surprised that a renowned jewelry company makes stained glass, but wow this is really cool 🙂

• March 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hi Andy! I think this piece (and the art in the owner’s collection) are very old. I am going to do some more fact-finding and shall report back! Oh yes, I was stunned to see it literally hanging in a small lobby area of this building. After finding out that the owner of the building has this priceless collection of Tiffany stained glass, I was in awe! Thank you for stopping by, Andy!! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 10:33 am

Here, Andy! I think this is a good article!

2. March 6, 2014 at 10:32 am

Love stained glass windows . Saw some lovely ones in Australian churches. Good picture of the stained glass Tiffany. Thanks for your post, Cher. 🙂

• March 6, 2014 at 10:33 am

Oh did you, Iris? I bet they were beautiful! Thank you, Iris! I was overwhelmed to see such magnificence mere steps from me! Thank you!! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 10:37 am

Yes, they really were especially in the country areas. Enjoy your photography and keep on writing, Cher. 🙂

• March 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

Thank you, Iris! I shall do so! I am not a very good photographer, but I certainly like trying! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 10:43 am

You do take nice photos, Cher. And interesting ones too. I really mean it. Thanks for sharing. Kind regards. Iris

• March 6, 2014 at 10:44 am

Awh, bless you, Iris. You just made my day! It’s morning here, and I have a lovely start to it now! Thank YOU! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 10:46 am

Glad I did. 🙂 😉

• March 6, 2014 at 10:46 am

🙂 🙂 Me too!!

3. March 6, 2014 at 10:43 am

Stunning! Love it. 🙂

• March 6, 2014 at 10:44 am

Thank you, dear belsbror! I love it too! Cher xo

4. March 6, 2014 at 11:39 am

Fantastic piece of art, thanks for the photo and the link to Tiffany’s work. Really, really interesting.

• March 6, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Oh thank you!! I think I should have provided a link originally in my post! Sorry about that! Cher xo

5. March 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Our town is 2 hours from NYC and we have lots of churches and even the Italian Renaissance villa library with works by Tiffany. It is such a joy to see such beauty, isn’t it?

• March 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Oh yes, it is exquisite work! That must be such a wonderful thing to see works by Tiffany in churches and the library. I am in awe of it and to think I was standing mere inches away from one is quite a splendid feeling! Thank you so much for your words! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 1:01 pm

You had one of those magical unexpected gift from the art and artist!

• March 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I really did! Thank you for that! It was so beautiful, this stained glass picture; and yet, at the time I stared at it I was completely (or perhaps more appropriate is that I was ignorant) unaware of its origin! What a magical gift indeed!!! I’m extremely grateful, and can’t wait to find more!!! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Do you know the Baroque Italian painter Caravaggio?

He is my favorite and you must read his life story…quite extraordinary. I also love the sculptor Bernini . You will have to look on line or in books as I don’t think you will any originals in Chicago. Have you been to the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in the suburbs of Chicago? He is the father of American architecture. Great book called ‘The Devil in the White City’ about world’s fair in Chicago…..sorry…my enthusiasm over flows. . . .

• March 6, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I LOVE your enthusiasm and appreciate it! I have not heard of Caravaggio, but I will look up some information about him. Oh Frank Lloyd Wright is a favorite of mine and my husband as well. Yes, the book and the world’s fair are fascinating, aren’t they? We have toured several Frank Lloyd Wright homes and they are amazing. He was so incredibly ahead of his time that it is hard to realize the era in which his work was completed. It doesn’t match anything else that was going on at the time which is intriguing! Please keep your enthusiasm coming, my dear!! Thank you! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Sounds like you are taking good advantage of the opportunities there. Will surely pass along any other ideas I might have.. thanks for not thinking me bossy!

• March 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I really love this city! Oh yes, please do! I think you are inspiring!!! Cher xo

• March 6, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I thought of another painter I love…..Dutch . . . Vemeer. Both he and Caravaggio use light in an amazing way, impossible to figure out , but totally illuminating !

• March 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I will have to look into Vemeer, too! I love when an artist uses light in unusual ways. Thomas Kincade is known as the ‘light painter’ because of is ability to bring windows to light (pun intended) and making the house or object look illuminated. That’s why I am really intrigued by your words about Caravaggio and Vemeer! Thank you!!! Cher xo

• March 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

My husband found this last night and it is playing in the foreign film theater we love. Give you a taste of Vemeer! Happy Saturday !

• March 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

Thank you so much for this!! Can’t wait to explore more!! Cher xo

• March 10, 2014 at 10:37 am

SO glad you are enjoying it! You will want to see the paintings!

• March 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

I am positive I will!!! Thank you!! Cher xo

6. March 6, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Cher, I’m a long time admirer of Tiffany’s work, and this is a spectacular piece! I have had and still have lamps reminiscent of his designs. Love them, and love you for bringing more of his work to our attention. Carol

• March 6, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Thank you, Carol! I am in awe of his designs as well. I’ll search for that glass museum and snap some photos for a good post! Thanks again, dear Carol! Cher xo

7. March 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm

That’s gorgeous! The colours in it are amazing!

• March 6, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Isn’t it amazing? I just stood in front of it for what seemed like forever. I couldn’t believe its beauty! Cher xo

8. kraftycatcreations
    March 6, 2014 at 7:42 pm

What a great picture -thank you for sharing it!

I love Tiffany! If you are ever in Florida, there is a museum dedicated to Tiffany – it is amazing! (But then, everything Tiffany is!) Here is the link: http://www.morsemuseum.org

• March 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Thank you so much! Oh, that is terrific to know. Thank you also for the link! Muchly appreciated, my dear! Cher xo

• March 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

Thank you! I really must get to that museum! Thanks so much for the link! I just adore Tiffany’s work! Cher xo

9. March 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I love stained glass windows and Have 3 unique Lamps which are called Tiffany.. They are made from original Church Glass windows which have been recycled by a very talented gentleman a friend of ours knew… One of the things I just love about visiting old churches is seeing their stained glass windows.. The glass is not as pure as it is today… Love the picture image of your stained glass window.. thank you for sharing xox Sue

• March 10, 2014 at 10:35 am

Ah that lovely, Sue! Isn’t that an amazing feat to recycle the glass into magnificent works of art. Truly a talent that we all benefit from in seeing these incredible pieces of history. Thank you, Sue! cher xo

10. March 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Lovely! Thanks, for reading my blog.

11. March 26, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Stained glass art is so lovely. Looking forward to reading your report about the museum!

• March 27, 2014 at 10:45 am

Thank you so much! Yes, I am excited to report about the museum! Cher xo

Bridgette Tales

Everybody has a story. Here's a little of mine.

Bonjour From Brittany

Celebrating what makes Brittany unique

Dawn Pisturino's Blog

My Writing Journey

Micro of the Macro

Recognizing & appreciating our oneness with Nature

Vova Zinger's Photoblog

The world around through my camera's lens

JJJ Interactive Books

Books and Poetry

100 Country Trek

Travelling is my joy of living. Sit back relax and come with me.

Jennifer's Journal