Downtown Chicago: Past & Present

It never ceases to amazing me how well buildings from the past and present blend seamlessly together in downtown Chicago.  If someone were to describe old and new architectural styles and designs of buildings as ‘cohesive’, I’d probably not think about it in that way.

However, when you see downtown Chicago with both elements of days gone by and the present intertwined and blended within the cityscape, why, it really does seem to work quite nicely, don’t you think?

On their own these buildings are marvelous to look at.  But when you view it as a ‘whole’, it takes on an entirely different energy.

It’s extremely rare to see only one person walking across the Wabash Street bridge at any time during the day.  But there he was, a guy in a red sweater with the bridge all to himself.  I wonder if he took the time to soak up the scenery?

Despite the fact I have seen these buildings over and over again I still marvel at their beauty.  The Chicago River, meandering its way through the downtown area, brings with it an additional element of enjoyment when looking at the ‘big downtown’ perspective.

If you’ve never had the opportunity to visit Chicago, you must put it on your list of ‘cool places to see’.

Have a lovely Thursday, everyone!

16 comments for “Downtown Chicago: Past & Present

1. September 27, 2018 at 8:11 am

What a beautiful sight. My husbands from Chicago, it’s been a long time since we’ve been back. Thanks for he great shots! xx

2. September 27, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I so agree. Nothing like downtown Chicago.

• September 27, 2018 at 7:12 pm

That is so true, David. Thank you! Something about it…….. Cher xo

3. September 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm

We lived in the burbs for years. Loved our staycations there. It’s truly a magical city. We sure don’t miss the taxes!

• September 28, 2018 at 9:57 am

It really is, isn’t it, Michelle? No doubt!! LOL Cher xo

4. September 27, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Look at what used to be my beautiful high school seminary, at 103 East Chestnut. You probably know of it already, behind the Water Tower, off Chicago and Michigan. I attended school there for five glorious years (1 year of college). A Gothic architectural wonder, now diocese offices. So many memoriesofatime….

• September 28, 2018 at 9:57 am

Yes, I know precisely where you mean, James. It truly is, isn’t it? Cher xo

• September 28, 2018 at 10:41 am

Unfortunately, the height of the surrounding buildings has diminished the light that once blazed through the stained glass windows.

• September 28, 2018 at 1:05 pm

It must have been a spectacular sight, James! Cher xo

5. Annie Van Es
    September 28, 2018 at 1:44 am

Chicago seems me a very beautiful town. The person in red on the bridge is a wonderful contrast with the blue building behind him. I like this view. We live here in Warffum near the ground. I do not want to live in a high building. But the buildings are wonderful to gether. A nice day.

• September 28, 2018 at 9:58 am

Thank you, Annie! I think the person in the red on the bridge is a great contrast too! Thanks, Annie! I hope you are having a nice day too! Cher xo

Dr. Eric Perry, PhD

Psychology to Motivate | Inspire | Uplift

Saying Nothing in Particular

But happily ... JT Twissel aka Jan

Soul Writings

Our stories are gifts, and they need to be shared

Stories of ecstasy

Waiting On The Path of Happiness

Boomer Eco Crusader

Helping you save time, money and the environment

JustCallMeTaco

Anxiety, Pain, Self-Harm, Addiction, and Reality

Rereading Jane Eyre

Author Luccia Gray

thoughts and entanglements

A collective of poems and photos.

SOUTHERN WRITER

This blog is all about writing and will also feature my poetry!