Peeking Through The Porthole: Long Beach, California!

Continuing with the California series from my recent trip to L.A. (I’ve Been Away Because I Won A Trip To L.A.!) here is one of my favorite views! Oh my goodness! This photo was taken through a porthole while I was aboard the RMS Queen Mary.  You can see the City of Long Beach, California over the water just after dusk.  I cannot tell you how much I absolutely love the Queen Mary!  The cool ocean breezes filled the stateroom at night, which literally made me feel as if I was on an ocean trip during one of the Queen Mary’s 1,200 cross-Atlantic voyages.

Here she is, the “RMS Queen Mary”.  Permanently docked in Long Beach, California in 1967, this magnificent luxury liner was constructed in Clydebank, Scotland in 1936.  Serving politicians, celebrities of the day, and those who yearned for adventure, the Queen Mary was retrofitted during WWII during which she carried allied troops (15,000 at a time on some trips) between England and the United States (and back again).  The Queen Mary has the most incredible history that is unrivaled by any other vessel of its kind.

I literally love this ship.  Staying aboard (it’s now a hotel) is one of my favorite things to experience.  I feel such a close kinship to this beautiful vessel; perhaps it is my Scottish heritage; I’m not sure, really.  But I can tell you this:  there is something extremely special about her, and I must say I’m not alone in that sentiment.  I’ll post more inside pics of the Queen Mary soon.

Here is a photo I took of a lovely lighthouse in Long Beach.  With near perfect temperatures, and some whispy clouds in the sky, I could have walked around this harbor forever.

I hope your Sunday is sailing along beautifully! More pics of my L.A. trip soon!

19 comments for “Peeking Through The Porthole: Long Beach, California!

1. April 8, 2018 at 11:46 am

Ah, Sunny So. Cal the land without seasons and basically a desert if not for irrigation after May, I grew up across the Orange Curtain and miss the ocean dearly- if you have time take the ferry to Catalina it’s a world onto its own and a nice day trip

• April 8, 2018 at 11:51 am

You were very lucky indeed. That is one thing I haven’t done yet but definitely plan on doing! I’ve heard lovely things about Catalina, and the ferry trip itself would be great I’m sure! Thank you! Cher xo

2. April 8, 2018 at 11:58 am

Great photos! I saw this ship from my hotel room some years ago. It’s so pretty!

• April 8, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Hi John! Thank you so much! Ah, it’s the most incredible place! I walked and walked (and walked!) the long hallways of every single deck! Cher xo

• April 8, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Merci beaucoup mon ami! Cher xo

3. April 8, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Merci beaucoup for sharing. Wonderful pics

• April 8, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Ah, de rien Don!! Merci! Cher xo

4. April 8, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Awesome, Cher! I have been to the Queen Mary too and later I visited the little village. That lighthouse is such a beautiful spot. Thank you for bringing back beautiful memories.

• April 8, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Aren’t these the most amazing places? I just love them, Erika! I’m so glad these pics are bringing back beautiful memories for you! That makes me happy! Cher xo

• April 9, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Wonderful, Cher! I wonder what is coming next 😊

• April 9, 2018 at 4:13 pm

*biggest grin* Well interesting you’d ask that question, actually! Let’s just say I had the opportunity to see something that isn’t open to the public. It was part of the prize and I will be sharing some pics soon! Cher xo

• April 10, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Oh, wow! Now you totally got me hooked!

• April 10, 2018 at 4:31 pm

LOL 😉 Cher xo

• April 11, 2018 at 7:53 am

😁

5. April 9, 2018 at 3:51 am

My dad came back home from WWII on the Queen Mary. I’m told there are ghosts on it, too, but I wouldn’t know. To me, it’s a great experience to see such a piece of history. To my father, who was sea sick, not so much. 🙂

• April 9, 2018 at 6:57 am

Well how cool is that! I’m so sorry your father was seasick on his trip aboard the QM. It is an amazing vessel, and yes, it is extremely haunted, although not in a negative way (you know, the type you see on some of the ghost tv shows). And yes, you are right, it truly is a great experience to see this ‘floating history’ (she’s in the water which is cool). I bet you would love it there! Thanks so much for letting me know about your dad! Cher xo

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Platform Number 4

Becky Ross Michael: an author's blog

An Unexpected Muse

writing ... after parkinson's

SouthernBlondeChic

"Pour Your Passion To Find Joy In The Journey"

Art by Rob Goldstein

There is no common truth, but there are facts.

BlogBimmel

Aktuelles - Vordergründiges - Hintergründiges - Unergründliches - Dumm Tüch - Fotos

Crow On The Wire

Poetry and Stories by Mark Tulin

BrewNSpew

Coffee-break Scuttlebutt

Cats in the Cradle Blog

Reviews, Giveaways, and More!