The Golden Heart of a Stranger – by Cher Garman

Here is a post I wrote for one of my favorite blogs: “The Kindness Blog”. I hope you like the post!

Kindness Blog

kindness quoteIf there is anything that can bring out the crankiness in someone, it’s the repetitive words of a weatherperson on a Canadian Prairie winter morning with the identical forecast as the previous five days.

“And we’ll have sunny skies today, with a high of -30 celsius; winds will be out of the North/Northwest at 30 kilometers per hour.  Windchill advisory is in effect, making it feel like -45 celsius; exposed skin can freeze in less than one minute.  Bundle up, folks; after all, it’s Winnipeg in the winter!”

Great.

Once again I needed to wear ten layers of clothing, two hats, a pair of mitts (with gloves over top), scarves so intertwined that I had lost count as to how many I was actually wearing.

Ah, yes, three pairs of socks.

My feet felt bound; I wondered if this was how the tradition of foot binding began; was it all…

View original post 755 more words

10 comments for “The Golden Heart of a Stranger – by Cher Garman

1. May 8, 2015 at 10:39 am

What a lovely story Cher! I bet he appreciated your appreciation, as you might say!

• May 8, 2015 at 11:04 am

Thank you so much, Veronica! That is extremely kind of you to say! I honestly changed that day. This stranger taught me a valuable lesson of appreciating everything!! Cher xo

2. Don
    May 8, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Beautiful Cher. So moving. Thank you for sharing it.

• May 8, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Thank you so much, Don. I will never forget that day. Cher xo

3. May 8, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Thank you for sharing this – wonderfully descriptive of the icy chill and the beauty of humanity that exists in the worst of conditions.

• May 8, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Thank YOU so much for your thoughtful words. Truly, I will never forget that music man. It was one of those life changing moments that I am so incredibly grateful to have experienced! Cher xo

• May 8, 2015 at 3:55 pm

He was singing a great song too – Love Neil Young’s ‘Heart of Gold’ 🙂

• May 8, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Me too! I love Neil Young and that is a wonderful song! 🙂

4. May 8, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Lovely and touching. I felt as though I was there with you. The description of your interaction with the “Stranger” was so vivid. Thank you for sharing such a heartwarming post. 🙂

• May 8, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Ah, thank you so much! That is so thoughtful of you to say! It might sound silly, but as I wrote this post, tears were streaming down my cheeks, just like that day, but without the freezing temps! *grin* The memory of that day evokes a strong appreciation for this wonderful soul. Thank you again for your lovely comments!!! Cher xo

Cbridge.ca