Gettysburg: Hallowed Ground

Gettysburg canon

I have been meaning to post this photo for quite some time.  I took this picture in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  For those of you who are not familiar with this particular area of the globe, Gettysburg is the site of an exceptionally important and historical event.  In 1863, the American Civil War (North vs South) was in full swing; the, “Battle of Gettysburg” took place from July 1-3, 1863.  This is when/where the history of the United States changed forever, as the Union Army (North) gained control over the Confederate Army (South), and consequently won the war two years later.  Approximately 52,000 soldiers were killed or wounded over the 3-day barrage.

President Abraham Lincoln gave a famous speech which became known as, the “Gettysburg Address” on November 19, 1863 at the dedication of the Soldiers’ National Cemetery.  Here is a link if you would like to read it:  http://www.gettysburg.com/bog/address.htm.

I must tell you the entire town of Gettysburg was battleground during those 3 overwhelming days in July, 1863.  The above photo shows a cannon overlooking one of those battlefields.  The feeling I had when I looked at the area in front of me was surreal.  My mind was racing, as what I observed with my eyes felt calm, even serene.  It almost felt wrong, if that makes sense, for what transpired on this very ground was anything but pastoral.

I would like to return to Gettysburg and do a lot more exploring.  To say the least, the history of this hallowed ground is fascinating.

31 comments for “Gettysburg: Hallowed Ground

1. Josh Wrenn
    April 13, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Always wanted to go to the major battlegrounds of the “War of Northern Aggression” (given that the South started it with the attack on Fort Sumter, I never understood how they could call it that), but I would love to go there and check it out.

• April 13, 2015 at 5:40 pm

It’s an amazing place, Josh! *LOL* Yes, the first shot was fired at Fort Sumter so I am unclear as to why it is referred to as the, “War of Northern Aggression”. Believe it or not, my Canadian parents go to Gettysburg twice a year! Something about it that draws them back time and time again! Cher 🙂

• Josh Wrenn
        April 13, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Hope I get to go.

• April 13, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Oh I do too!!

• April 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Basically, the “War of Northern Aggression” comes from Southerners trying to pretend that the war was about many complicated things, instead of the Southern demand that nobody ever say that there might be anything the least little bit wrong with enslaving people.

2. April 13, 2015 at 6:11 pm

A great number of souls still walk these field for sure

3. April 13, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I always feel so chilled at spots like that, as though somehow the ground and air still hold the pain and horror. This photo captures that well, Cher.

Hope this week is a good one for you. Big hugs, Donna xo

• April 13, 2015 at 6:59 pm

You are right, Donna. It is such a indescribable feeling. I cried many times while there. And to you as well my dear; thank you! Big hugs, Cher xo

4. cadeauca
    April 13, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I got the chance to travel to Gettysburg and tour some of the battlefields back in high school. I remember standing on Little Round Top, trying to imagine what it must have felt like for the Union soldiers who came running down that hill. Like you, I would love to go back!

• April 13, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Ah, yes, you were exactly where I was, behind the high school. And oh my goodness, Little Round Top holds some incredible energy. Yes, to imagine that feeling of being a Union solider running down the hill!! So much happened there. Yes, it would be great to explore more, wouldn’t it? Cher xo

5. Rochester Raven
    April 13, 2015 at 7:35 pm

How appropriate! Last Thursday April 9th was the 150th anniversary of the official ending of the Civil War. Lee had surrendered to Grant at Appomattox. Thus, only four days ago, bells tolled all over the land, including those from the church across from our home. They rang for 4 minutes to commemorate the four years of the war. I got the chills listening to them ring. It was a sobering experience. We also have a historic Victorian Cemetery about a mile north of us that had bells, fife & drums playing, and actors doing a reenactment.. There is a lot of Civil War history in this cemetery and in our part of the country. .

• April 13, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Hearing those bells would be incredible. The sound would be such a profound reminder of the phenomenal, historical significance of the Civil War. Thank you so much for sharing this. Cher xo

6. April 13, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Gettysburg: Great things happened there… Thanks for sharing a bunch of USA historic facts with us… Very interesting, dear Cher.
    Best wishes! Aquileana ⭐

• April 13, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Le plaisir est pour moi! Merci! Best wishes to you too, dear Aquileana! Cher xo

7. April 13, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I’ve never heard of it as “the War of Northern Aggression” Cher. I didn’t know that April 9th was the official ending of the Civil War. So much info I’m learning from you. Terrific! Great post. The older I get, the more I appreciate history. Never liked it in school!! 🙂

• April 14, 2015 at 7:30 am

Thank you so much, dear Carol! I keep learning a lot about American history, as we don’t learn much about it in Canada. Well, we do learn some, but primarily it is Canadian and European content. I will post more about Gettysburg in the future. Cher xo

8. April 13, 2015 at 11:43 pm

An interesting piece of history! Thanks for the information, Cher 🙂 Love, Iris

• April 14, 2015 at 7:31 am

Thank you, dear Iris! It was an incredible time in this country’s history; the more I learn about it, the more I want to know more! Love, Cher xo

9. April 14, 2015 at 8:27 am

Thank you for this posting Chicago Files
    A agree with you that many Gettysburg areas and anyplace else drenched in the blood of war should be hallowed ground and that each place is in fact surreal this is why I hate Hollywood’s moves about war and why I do not like people trampling all over this hallowed ground playing war games stepping on places where our ancestors both theirs and mine lie bleeding and in pain?
    I am not so sure about the reasoning that this hallowed ground is fascinating?

• April 14, 2015 at 8:34 am

Thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate them and I agree with everything you wrote. Yes, I also believe any place that has seen the blood of war should be hallowed ground. I don’t like Hollywood movies about war either. War games should never be allowed on grounds where suffering took place. I wonder about that too; why is the hallowed ground so fascinating? It seems to resonate with so many people for some reason. When my Canadian parents go to Gettysburg, they honor those who fought in this battle, and they are solemn and quiet on their walks of the area. But there is one thing my parents can absolutely not tolerate, and that is when parents allow their children to climb on the monuments honoring the soldiers. My mother says, “How can anyone be so disrespectful for what happened here?” I agree! Cher xo

10. April 14, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I can see from the image that the nature surrounding is beautiful. Love to see those green trees! A special place with history 🙂 Thank you for sharing this!

• April 14, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Oh yes, it really is a beautiful area, Indah. Yes, I love those green trees, too! A very special place in this history of the US. Very solemn place. Thank you, Indah! Cher xo

11. April 14, 2015 at 4:38 pm

There should always be a sense of reverence when we view any place of human significance. Gettysburg, Runnymede are examples – they should make us hold our breath as we consider the importance of what went down at these places. And each part of the Human world and its culture has so many of these punctuations of history that we can and should learn from – and learn to share also!

• April 14, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Your words resonate with me so strongly. I agree wholeheartedly. I am not certain what makes us forget these valuable lessons that history has to teach us. I know how vital it is for we humans to understand our misgivings in order to move forward. It should not be without great contemplation that we walk around these important, significant areas of our planet. Thank you so much for your words!!! Cher xo

12. April 17, 2015 at 9:05 am

My daughter went to Gettysburg College, so we are very familiar with the area. For three semesters, she lived in a house that the College was renting from the Lutheran Seminary, meaning that she lived on Seminary Ridge, which was an important area for the battle. It’s true that almost every building in town was used as a hospital, with so many gravely wounded.

• April 17, 2015 at 9:32 am

Hi Joanne and a big welcome to The Chicago Files! Oh did she? Yes, I know the area you are referring to; Seminary Ridge. It was a very important area for the battle indeed. I guess at that time they had literally turned almost the entire town into a hospital. Fascinating history. Thank you so much for your comments, Joanne! Cher xo

13. Mandy- Wild Red
    April 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

So close to my old home town!! Great memories and I love your Chicago posts as well which is our favorite big city!! Thank you for the memories😊

• April 22, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Well thank you kindly! That is so thoughtful of you to say! It’s a wonderful city, and I look forward to sharing a lot more! Please stay tuned!!! Cher xo

• Mandy- Wild Red
        April 22, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Definitely have a new follower😆

• April 22, 2015 at 7:49 pm