This is hockey night in…………………america?

I have been meaning to write this post for quite some time.  As the cold reminds me of many things, including Canada and ice cubes, it also reminds me of hockey (not that a Canadian really needs reminding of the passion for OUR game).  I must confess, the first time I made the observation I am going to talk about, I thought, wait, is this just me? Am I a, well, for lack of a better term, “hockey snob”?

And so, here are my thoughts about hockey announcers here in the USA:  SHUT UP!!! *LOL*  Please, just announce the game.  We do not care that Vince Vaughn is sitting in Row 3, Section 1 with his wife (although she is Canadian, so that’s nice!!).  We do not care about giving a “shout out” to Joe and the guys down at the Pizza Bowl and Laundromat for scoring that perfect game.  We do not care that your Aunt Marge is in town and she’ll be waving to the cameras from her box-seat at any moment now.  We really do not care for you to constantly be talking about other hockey games except the one you are announcing.  And we really, really do not care for your interruptions talking to the microphone-wearing coaches asking them what they are thinking about the game. They are busy coaching said game! The coaches never look impressed to be interrupted but I’m sure they have no choice.

I remember growing up with, “Hockey Night in Canada”.  It was so exciting!  The Toronto Maple Leafs playing at Maple Leaf Gardens, Sittler to Salming, he shoots, he scores!!!! It was about hockey, not focusing the camera on someone eating a beef dip.  It was about the focus of the plays, the referee calls that perhaps we didn’t catch ourselves.  Hockey announcers in Canada are talking about the topic at hand:  reporting what is happening on the ice, not in Row 3, Section 1 (sorry for picking on you, Vince Vaughn).  It disrupts the flow of the game; Canadians take this very seriously.  Americans excel at so many sports and I love that; there are incredible athletes here and it is an absolute pleasure to watch!  Go USA! I love the US, and I love Canada.  But as my fellow Canucks might agree, we are showing the world what this hockey passion is all about.

We Canadians don’t get riled up about a lot; we are quite the easy-going bunch, this is true.  However, to the hockey announcers South of the 49th, please, for the love of God, hockey, and everything holy, announce the game, not so and so’s name!

29 comments for “This is hockey night in…………………america?

1. January 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Well, I’m glad to have found your blog as well. I’m going to have a better look around in a bit. Is it coincidence that your post for today is hockey? LOL I love it!! 🙂

• January 7, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Welcome to The Chicago Files! Coincidence? Why, there’s no such thing as a coincidence, my fellow Canuck! *LOL* Especially when it comes to hockey! Oh Canada!

2. Professions for PEACE
    January 8, 2014 at 12:50 am

Thank you for the great laughs-out-loud as I give you a You Go Girl shout! You KNOW that I agree completely. However, having not seen the games from your current perspective, I am now more appreciative of being able to enjoy the focused commentating I get to enjoy. Ya, Vince might be super handsome and he wisely chose a gorgeous Canadian lass to marry, but let’s watch the game people! Too funny. I feel your pain. 😉 Cheers, Gina

• January 8, 2014 at 7:31 am

Awh, bless you, Gina! Thank you so much for your wonderful words! I love different perspectives; to me it equates growth! I think the handsome Vince and his lovely Canuck cutie attend hockey games for the same reason everyone else does; not to BE part of the broadcast!

I wonder what Don Cherry thinks about this? *grin* At least he sits in his “Coaches Corner” with bated breath until it’s ‘his turn to banter with dear Ron MacLean.” Cheers, Cher 🙂

3. January 9, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hello again, Cher. Here am I, as threatened earlier. Jobs out the way. All done. Didn’t get the cat food and my cabbage juice mixed up. Cat would have had something to say about that. I did take a peek at the time and how exciting to see you hail from Canada. Have this thing about Canada. Ditto with Japan. Love this post and enjoyed the earlier ones about the pigeons hopping a ride on the train. Bless ’em. I imagine all that flapping about and pooping must be exhausting. Thank you again for your support. Super job! See you soon. Best, best, R.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hello my dear! What a pleasure to see you here on The Chicago Files! Ah yes, tis true; I am a Canuck! *LOL* I’m so glad you like my home and native land (I’ve never been to Japan, but it’s on the list)! Those pigeons!! I could not believe it when the one got off at the stop before mine! How perfectly timed, to be sure! Hehehe, oh yes, flapping and pooping is pretty much all they can handle for one session, no doubt! Thank YOU for your support, too! Awh, thanks so much. This is a new venture for me, this little blog of mine. I’m honored to have such wonderful comments from you! Now, where did I leave my maple syrup, snow, igloo, sled dogs, and um, hockey stick? *grin* Best to you, Cher 🙂

4. January 13, 2014 at 8:02 am

Just a quickie to say hello, mate, my pleasure and many thanks in return. Had a couple of interesting days is how I shall put it. I don’t mean to be stuck on the subject but for some reason I can’t appear to escape it because I am just getting over a bout of stomach flu and there it is! Sorry about this. Will make a huge effort not to be such a poop and bring it up again. Really. Rx

• January 13, 2014 at 9:49 am

*LOL* Ah, the illustrious stomach; having one that seems to pop up now and then I can quite understand, my friend! Do hope you are feeling better! Do keep it DOWN to a dull roar, then! *LOL* Sending healing hugs, Cher xo

5. January 13, 2014 at 11:01 am

You’re most kind, Cher, thank you. I’ll do my best. Any strange noises emerging from my direction I’m blaming on the cat. Sensibly no one believes me. R x

• January 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Well my dear, as sensible as I hope I am, I’m still going to give the blame to the feline friend. Sharing and caring alike, I say! Cher xo

• January 17, 2014 at 6:14 am

Greetings fellow blogger! Thank you for your Likes, Cher. Much appreciated. Delighted you are enjoying them as I am your entries. Glad you took it up, good on you! Yep, have a lot of time for Canadians and much respect for the Native Canadians whose spirituality touches something inside me. And for better or worse we share a royal family! Yes, not a total royalist but put it this way; always the Cavalier (don’t you just love those sexy long locks, swaggering cloaks and feathers in their hats… swoon…) as opposed to a Roundhead! À bientôt. Rx

• January 17, 2014 at 7:41 am

Awh, bless! I most certainly am enjoying your entries! I love sharing stories, too! It is great fun! And it warms my Canadian heart to know you have respect for our First Nations folks. I too connect with the spirituality. *LOL* Swaggering cloaks and plumes always, and I mean ALWAYS get my vote over a Roundhead! Heavens, what on earth were they thinking? *grin* Wishing you a pleasant day dearie, and thanks so much for stopping by! Cher xo

6. January 17, 2014 at 8:26 am

Absolutely. Total respect for indigenous peoples including of course Native Americans. I have a link to an American Native site on my website. I need to find a Canadian one as well. Lovely to hear you too are spiritual. I exercised restraint and control by not referring to them as “warty old Roundheads” which now appears to have gone out the window because seriously! Cromwell? As you say, really? I know, talk about a thug, what were they thinking indeed. Love that Van Dyck portrait of Charles I. Avanti, avanti. You have a super-duper weekend, thank you for your kind wishes and my pleasure. Keep up the great work. See you anon, Rx.

• January 17, 2014 at 9:26 am

I will have to check that out! Thank you! Aboriginal spirituality is sacred, and I feel much respect and humility with it.
      *LOL* “warty old Roundheads” indeed! I say, “give your collective heads a shake on that one!” And to you as well my dear! Thank YOU!!! Cher xo

7. January 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Go Islanders! 🙂

• January 18, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Yes, Go Islanders………….far, far away! *teasing* I’m a Hawks fan, of course!

• January 18, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I used to be a diehard fan, the Isles won 4 Cups in a row when I was a wee lad, but I don’t follow them as much anymore. UMaine has a pretty good hockey program, though…

• January 18, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’m so glad you are a hockey fan! Yes, the Isles have been a powerhouse team in the past, that’s for sure. Oh, I didn’t know UMaine has a pretty good hockey program, though. Must be the Canadian air floating across the border! xo

• January 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Yes, the Black Bears have some Canucks on the roster. 🙂

• January 18, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Do they? That’s excellent to hear!

• January 18, 2014 at 7:09 pm

They are the closest thing we have to a professional sports team in Maine.

• January 18, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I wonder why that is, Austin. I mean, why doesn’t Maine have professional sports teams? Is it the population size?

• January 18, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Totally the population size, the income level, the bad weather, the frightening proximity to Canada… 🙂

• January 18, 2014 at 9:13 pm

*LOL* Oh yes, that neighbor to the North!!! Hhummmpphfff!! 😉

• January 18, 2014 at 9:14 pm

🙂

8. sunshinebright
    January 23, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Absolutely love the banter back and forth. Thanks for brightening my day! 🙂

• January 23, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Right back at you, my dear!! Cher xo

Writing and Illustrating

Sharing Information About Writing and Illustrating for Children

Viking Girl Adventures

To adventure is to live

Dr. Eric Perry

Psychology to Motivate | Inspire | Uplift

Saying Nothing in Particular

But happily ... JT Twissel aka Jan

Soul Writings

Our stories are gifts, and they need to be shared

Stories of ecstasy